ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Have we failed?

Paul

When Bart was searching for adjectives to describe the finishing qualities of various coticules, he took great care to avoid a "good, better, best" designation when he chose "brisk, engaging, and mellow". He asked me my thoughts on those descriptive designations, and I thought it would avoid a "good, better, best" sensations.

Now, when I see people describe edges, I notice some tendencies to call something that provided irritation either "brisk" or "crispy" when a razor that performs up to expectations to be "mellow".

That's not really the way I saw that developing when the descriptors were chosen. All three types of finishes were meant to describe something excellent, but excellent in different ways.

So, my question is: Am I right in my observations, or am I reading too much into what I am seeing? Or, in other words: did we fail?

For the record, I prefer an engaging edge as most La Petite Blanches provide. :)

Your problem description is correct. The conclusion drawn from it is not. This is, after all, a forum, and not a library. You cannot tell people what they should or should not call certain things.

I like them all! I only have two coticules, so I can't comment on the entire range of brisk, engaging and mellow.

I am still evaluating the difference between the three shaves, but to me there is a huge difference between brisk and crispy. Crispy hurts.

I also thinks that the rating depends partially on the razor as well. Some display a certain level of crispiness regardless of the finishing method.

(edit: I believe I made a mistake in reading the OP and wound up talking about something else, sorry)

regards,
Torolf

I use the term crispy to mean a shave that it uncomfortable. If that is not the case I will stop, but is "crispy" really a term used to describe a coticule edge? I have never had what I term a crispy shave from a coticule that wasn't coated with tallow, but a couple of those were uncomfortable for sure. Maybe that language thing again. Sincerely, Denny

BeBerlin said:
Your problem description is correct. The conclusion drawn from it is not. This is, after all, a forum, and not a library. You cannot tell people what they should or should not call certain things.
That is quite true. And why I specifically chose descriptors that no one ever used for qualifying an edge. (brisk, engaging, mellow)
"Crisp" is what I use for describing an edge that shaves, but not quite good.

Now, let's find out if this IPAD can actually post this text.

Kindest regards,
Bart

Help me out, Robin. I didn't intend to draw any conclusions, rather I pointed out a perceived "devolution" and asking if I was right, or if my anecdotal experience was not the same as others. What do you mean?

My point is that I don't recall any glowing posts about "a brisk/engaging" edge. They seem to my experience to be reserved for "mellow" edges...

My point exactly. I very much like the proposed nomenclature, but it seems not to have permeated the forum. We've been through the same discussion before, though (eg in this thread).

richmondesi said:
Help me out, Robin. I didn't intend to draw any conclusions, rather I pointed out a perceived "devolution" and asking if I was right, or if my anecdotal experience was not the same as others. What do you mean?

My point is that I don't recall any glowing posts about "a brisk/engaging" edge. They seem to my experience to be reserved for "mellow" edges...
When I read you last post, Paul, I agree with you completely. I think that all coticule edges are mellow in comparison to other honing techniques and when we tout the glories of the coticule, mellow is the adjective of choice. Consequently, it seems to get the most press. Like you, I like engaging edges a little better and now you have me wondering about the La Petite Blanche layer.

Jann goes to London Friday, my friend. Denny

I will admit when I first saw that my coticule was supposed to have a "brisk" feeling I was disappointed, as the "mellow" feel was the whole reason I bought a coticule in the first place.

But then after reading what was I believe your quote describing the different feelings, and then getting my first successful edge and shaving off of it I am completely happy with my stone.

Before reading your descriptions, my first thought on brisk was that it would mean sharp but not terribly smooth. Now I know better.

Reading the thread in Robin's hyperlink, Paul, you substitute crisp for brisk. Is that the convention? If so, I missed it by gettng to the forum later than most.

DJKELLY said:
Reading the thread in Robin's hyperlink, Paul, you substitute crisp for brisk. Is that the convention? If so, I missed it by gettng to the forum later than most.

Apparently, not according to Bart :lol:

I seem to remember him using that term before the new designations, but I can't be sure. To me, brisk and crisp describe exactly the same thing.

While it may appear to the general audience that the hones in the Vault are better than average, they are not. It just gives the future owner a head start in figuring out his particular specimen. When it comes to the final edge that can be reached, all Coticules work within very close range. The differences are certainly not significant enough for to possibly like the edge of one and dislike the edge of another.
This is à quote from the Vault's explanation page.

I am convinced that almost all users who qualiify à Coticule edge as not shaving absolutely smoothly, have not really learned to unleash the full potential of their specimen.

Kind regards,
Bart

You know it is kind of funny. When Bart offered his selection assistance I almost posted about wanting one for a crispier edge (I wish I had a job). I don't know about others, but I enjoy trying the different edges off of all coticules. I don't consider crispy/brisk to mean a bad thing. With the minute differences between the coticule edges I don't see why it is a problem. I find too that if I finish off of my BBWs the finish can vary and occasionally I will find myself wanting a different feel so I will seek out which stone (or a razor honed on that stone) I want to shave off of each night.

Bart said:

OMG! OMG! OMGFG!

Back on topic, I guess its true that people seemed at times to have decided that anything other that what they would call "Mellow" must be a bad shave, I dont see the ratings like that, I believe they refer to the very very slight nuances that an edge that still provides a great shaves possesses.

Regards
Ralfson

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:

OMG! OMG! OMGFG!

Back on topic, I guess its true that people seemed at times to have decided that anything other that what they would call "Mellow" must be a bad shave, I dont see the ratings like that, I believe they refer to the very very slight nuances that an edge that still provides a great shaves possesses.

Regards
Ralfson

I, think crisp and brisk means not so nice on the boat race. what do you reckon ralfy?
No seriously i never can tell the differance . I have to say i have referd to crisp as not so nice on my face . may be course would be another word i would use. Now a good edge to me always seems mellow . thats how i like it.

regards Gary

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:

OMG! OMG! OMGFG!

Regards
Ralfson

Yes Ralfy.
The question is if a razor cut well or not.The consepts crispy and mellow is for the biscuits.
Your friend
Emmanuel

Back