ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

n°29, n°32, n°34, n°35, n°36, n°37 and n°38

Bart

Gentlemen,

I just finished publishing a bunch of test results.
No time right now to write something about them, here in the Cafeteria. But I promise to do that later this weekend. There's a lot to tell about these hones.

Just 2 quick notes, before anyone gets his hopes up.
N°37 is Maurice Celis's personal Coticule. Not for sale.
N°38 is already sold. Our own member Dorian, who's from the US but lives in Belgium, came over to my place last night, and took it home with him. :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

N°29 - La Nouvelle Veine.

A layer with sub-layers. This one seems to have the properties of n°24, a.k.a. the slower part of the layer. If I ever get access to a scientific apparatus that allows the measurement of garnets, I expect to find the finest garnets in this part of La Nouvelle Veine, and probably in a more abundant presence in "La Grosse Blanche" (more about that in the description of n°36.)
This is one of my favorite dimensions for a Coticule: long - 20cm - and narrow - 3cm. The length compensates for the slowness to some degree, although it remains a hone that demands patience for doing bevel work. The narrow state has two advantages: a bit more efficiency (because there's less contact for the same pressure), and it allows for easy contact with warped and/or smiling blades.
On water, is has that agreeable draw that seems to attract the blade to the surface.

N°32 - La Grosse Blanche.
The "needle sharpener". Part of the surface carries very small grayish specks. At the quarry, small bouts with that pattern are kept separate. They rub it with a copper coin to see how well the coin scribes on the hone. If it leaves a clear copper trace, it's qualified for needle sharpening use. I have no idea who would want to sharpen a needle nowadays. I know that jewelers use very fine, pointy tools, so maybe that's why Ardennes keeps a small supply of those. With enough pressure (it's a very hard Coticule) it provides relatively fast abrasion. The edge it leaves when used in that mode, is very keen, but a also fairly crisp. I suspect the honing takes present on those fine inclusions, rather than on actual spessartine garnets. In that sense, it's a dual hone. On slurry it behaves more or less like n°15 (another La Grosse Blanche). Perhaps a tiny bit less fast. When finished on water with the usually low pressure it delivers a typical Coticule finish.

N°34 & N°35 - La Veinette.
These are twins. They look the same (the difference in the picture is a result of inconsistency in my photographic skills :blush: ). They act the same. And they behave like any other La Veinette I have tested so far. This is one of the most consistent layers. I've always qualified it as "easy-going", because it offers fast speed on slurry, a decent keenness limit on slurry, and responds very well to the dilution strategy to boost keenness. I believe these are the reasons why it was so highly regarded in the past. It's not very difficult getting top results of the La Veinettes. It still depends on a decent honing stroke though...

N°36 - La Grosse Blanche
I've photographed it in its oxidized state. When rubbed with a slurry stone, it becomes palish white-gray. Due to light and air, it slowly oxidizes to a brown color again. This process takes several weeks to months. I've tried to finish on it in oxidized state. Did not seem to make a difference on this one. I was surprised to find it significantly less fast than the other La Grosse Blanches I have assessed so far. I have reason to suspect that it may speed up, further down in the Coticule slice. I suspect this, because the hone has a crack in its Coticule part (as can clearly be seen in the picture). I think that the considerably faster n°15 is almost the same hone, but without the top part of the Coticule. The nice feature on n°36 is that it delivers high keenness on slurry. I've rated it +++ for that. The finish is as smooth as it ever gets. I don't think an edge can be more friendly for the skin. As far as feedback goes, there's a tad of smooth draw for finishing on water.

N°37 - La Dressante (mine at Regné)
This is Maurice's hone. He uses it mainly on knives.
What can I say? He knows what to pick.:) This is a perfect Coticule. It's among the fastest I ever used. Pretty much in the ball park of n°31 for speed. Keenness on slurry is pretty decent: ++. It's one of the fastest on water I've come across as well. Faster than the speckled La Grosse Blanche I've described above (n°32). It's an incredible hone for sharpening whatever you put on it. Maurice never raises slurry on it for sharpening knives. The edge on the razors were highly keen, on the crispier side of the Coticule spectrum. Maurice is not selling it, no need to try.:)

N°38 - La Veinette
Sold to Dorian.
It's a La Veinette, much like Ralpson's hone.
I'm not going to rub it in, by repeating all the superlatives.
It's probably also the last "La Veinette" I have assessed for the Vault. They're all of the same great quality. If someone wants one, just contact Ardennes and inquire about availability.

Best regards,
Bart.

rhframpton said:
If this is proper, I would like to lay claim to No. 28 please. Thanks,

Bob
Yes, it is the way to make a reservation.

Later this week, I'll figure out the prices for the hones. At that point I will update the list in the Prices thread, and put the right names behind the hones. You'll need to confirm your intent to buy at that point. I'm returning these to Ardennes on the 5th of March. Ardennes will contact you shortly thereafter.

Best regards,
Bart.

hey Bart, is it possible to have a thread listing those hones still available? or some mark beside each home in the vault indicating if it's available or already adopted?

For the record, I sent Bart an email about number 36 :blush:

I'm a sucker for statements like:
Bart said:
The finish is as smooth as it ever gets. I don't think an edge can be more friendly for the skin.
:w00t:

richmondesi said:
For the record, I sent Bart an email about number 36 :blush:

I'm a sucker for statements like:
Bart said:
The finish is as smooth as it ever gets. I don't think an edge can be more friendly for the skin.
:w00t:

Ohhh that's a nice one... I call it the "Choco-ticule" (chocolate Coticule) because on my screen it looks like a bar of chocolate... or maybe that could be Caramel-Cotilule:love:

I must say I was interested in that one, so please let me know what I missed when you get it in hand... i suspect it's one of the best.:cry:

It was very tempting, but the line that made me hesitate:

Dilucot: follow standard procedure. Requires precise and carefully executed dilution phase.

I'm not very precise nor careful. Still too much of a n00b.

jeffus said:
It was very tempting, but the line that made me hesitate:

Dilucot: follow standard procedure. Requires precise and carefully executed dilution phase.

I'm not very precise nor careful. Still too much of a n00b.

Lucky Paul:p

Smythe said:
hey Bart, is it possible to have a thread listing those hones still available? or some mark beside each home in the vault indicating if it's available or already adopted?
Later this week, or during the weekend, I'll update the thread that lists prices. At that point, everyone needs to confirm his intent to buy the hone. At that point, a given word should not be broken.

Sorry to rub that in. Most members that bought a Coticule through mediation of this website, have behaved like absolute gentlemen. But there were exceptions... I don't mind answering 3 or 4 e-mails before one can make up his mind about a purchase. But once I've contacted Maurice with a buyer's credentials, it highly annoys me if the guy backs out the deal with some cheap excuse a few days later, and even more if he backs out without any further communication.
[end of rant] :|

Just a little update about n°32 - La Grosse Blanche, the "needle sharpener". I asked Maurice of Ardennes Coticule who on Earth sharpens needles on a Coticule nowadays. His answer was simple: acupuncturists. I can imagine they want smooth needles. :)

Bart.

Should be ok if they ultrasound and autoclave? but I agree most I believe are single use, theres a whole lot more world out there though buddy

tat2Ralfy said:
Should be ok if they ultrasound and autoclave? but I agree most I believe are single use, theres a whole lot more world out there though buddy

Yup, that's why I paused and clarified my location before posting.

When I lived in NZ my tattoo guy showed me his homemade needle gun, and he talked about the difficulty of finding good needles and cleaning them. Tattoos were illegal not too long ago in NZ.

I simple pass through the autoclave would do the trick. I'm looking at 4 of them right now. I work in a surgical center :rolleyes:

regards,
jeff

Back