ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

OCtober 2019

F03BCA9A-7082-4C27-B789-2C0015CAF157.jpeg

Pre-shave: None
Shaving Soap / Cream: Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet
After Shave : Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet
After Shave Balm: Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet
Eau de Toilette: Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet

Shaving Brush: Shavemac 28 mm. Fan Silvertip Badger 2 bander

Safety Razor: Charcoal OC Level 2
Razor Blade: Gillette Nacet

You'll appreciate great shaving gear more if you've used bad material in the previous shave.

The Charcoal was a revelation today after using the Windrose yesterday.

Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (1)
Blade: Feather (1)
Pre-Shave: None
Soap: Tabac Shaving Stick
Brush: HJM pure badger, handle material plum wood
Aftershave: Physalis Hamameliswater
Aftershave: Tabac Aftershave lotion
Aftershave: Tabac Aftershave Balsem
EDT: Tabac

FaTip Grande OC on hold (#7)
Timeless Ti 0.95 OC on hold (#5)

Dag/Day/Tag (#13) OCtober/Tabactober

First save with a feather blade.I don't understand the hype about feather, it performs like all other blades i own. I will see wath it's live is.
The Masamune is probaly my most efficient razor in my stable, me because it have drag. For me it's more efficient as my Timeless SS 0.95 OC and that says a lot.

Tonight i took a study of my Masamune to find out why it's overly efficient, what you son't expect from a razor with negative blade exposere.
it seemed that I could not tighten the handle enough. I already had a problem with small pieces of residual metal but thought I had all removed them. I just sprayed the wire well with silicone oil to make sure that all metal residu are washed away from the hole.
It looks it helped i can npw tighten the handle better with out any resistance. I tested the bladefeel at the inside of my hand and i feel the blade don't stick out that much anymore. Tommorow i will test it.

Tonight I shaved with my favorite razor of the Gillette New series, the Gillette New De Luxe (this is the Tuckaway version). Similar to the New Improved, this had a heavier short comb base plate, however the head design was for the New and not Old Type. I find this combination just as smooth as the English Gillette FB and RFB, but slightly more efficient. Once again, a two pass plus touch up BBS.

13 DL dec.JPG

Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (2)
Blade: Feather (2)

Dag/Day/Tag (#14) OCtober/Tabactober

Tonight's shave was with the Pearl L55 OC. This one has a very large and heavy handle, which puts the weight away from the head. The razor shaves quite rough, but it is also quite efficient. Still it took almost three passes to get a BBS. This is not a razor for daily use.

14 pearl L55.JPG

Razor: Tatara Masamune OC (3)
Blade: Feather (3)

Dag/Day/Tag (#15) OCtober/Tabactober

• Trumpf Bakelite OC Slant
  • Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
  • Yaqi 24mm Purple Handle Mink Synthetic
  • A&E - Vetyver Magnifique
  • Stirling AS Balm - Agar
  • Loris - Vetyver Gold
The lack of weight always throws me of my game with Bakelite and such razors. Lets say the end result after 3 rounds was mediocre at best, but can be attributed for at least 80% to my lack of handling skills with these featherweights of the razor world.
The soap was disappointing, where i expected a scent bomb (why else call it Magnifique?) i got a barely noticeable one lingering in the lather, the AS Balm just blew it away to be exterminated by the real scent bomb, the Vetyver Gold by Loris, it will stay with me until the early hours of the evening as i experienced before :)
I wonder if the Fasan Model 21 i will use in two days will do better (after i clean it), with the higher weight and all.
IMG_20191015_103611.jpg

Tuesday night and another OC slant. This time it is the Ziglar, a razor as strange as it's name. Part torsionshobel and part schraggschnitt. Always begins by shaving rough until I remember to follow the angle on the head, then a very smooth and efficient shave. Two pass plus touch up BBS. This is another razor that I wonder why I took it out of my regular rotation.
15 zig.JPG

Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC smooth cap (1)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)

Tatara Masamune OC on hold (#3)

Dag/Day/Tag (#16) OCtober/Tabactober

The smooth cap gives a much smoother shave then when i use the scalloped cap. So today was a very nice shave,

Tuesday night and another OC slant. This time it is the Ziglar, a razor as strange as it's name. Part torsionshobel and part schraggschnitt. Always begins by shaving rough until I remember to follow the angle on the head, then a very smooth and efficient shave. Two pass plus touch up BBS. This is another razor that I wonder why I took it out of my regular rotation.

Really a beautiful slant that reminds me of another jewel and that is the Krect.

Tonight's shave was with my Weck OC made by Merkur. Unlike the Weck OC from the weekend, this was a traditional DE made by Merkur for Weck, Adams, and Grafco. I am not sure if the head geometry is different from the Merkur 15/33 series, but it is a very efficient shaver. The handle is definitely different and common only to the three rebranded razors mentioned above.

A very comfortable two pass plus touch up BBS.

16 weck v.JPG

Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC smooth cap (2)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

Dag/Day/Tag (#17) OCtober/Tabactober

Hooray, I found my new favorite Gillette New type razor! :disco1:disco1

Previously, it was the New De Luxe, which I just shaved with a couple of nights ago. Tonight I shaved with my Rotbart RFB, and where the New RFB was smoother than the New De Luxe, the New De Luxe was more efficient a shaver. Tonight my Rotbart RFB combined the smoothness of the Gillette RFB with the efficiency of the De Luxe. This was my first shave with this razor and there was no learning curve and I ended up with a two pass plus minimal touch up BBS. AND it is much more beautiful than the New RFB. :daumenhoch

17 rb.JPG

Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC smooth cap (3)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)

Dag/Day/Tag (#18) OCtober/Tabactober

Tonight's shave was with a razor that brings fear into the hearts of many, the Muhle R41. :verwarnung1

Many on the other forums have said that it is a very rough shaver that will take off a layer of skin or a part of your nose, however I have always found it to be a very comfortable and efficient shaver. Of course I make sure to keep the correct angle and shave slowly and deliberately, especially ATG. Last night I was impressed with my Rotbart RFB because it gave a two pass plus minimal touch up BBS shave. Tonight the R41 gave me a straight two pass BBS. daumenh!

18 r41.JPG

Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC smooth cap (4)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)

Dag/Day/Tag (#19) OCtober/Tabactober

• Timeless 0.95 OC
  • Gillette Rubie (3)
  • J&T 26mm Marblewood Tuxedo
  • B&M Gothique
  • Mühle - Alum
  • Stirling AS Balm - Varen
  • Loris - So Oud
The Timeless performed as per usual, 3 rounds BBS, no touch-up needed, handling the Joris has helped with this one, as i always suffer major bloodletting using it, but now just one very minor red spot. Stil, the Alum told of a not so smooth shave, sigh. The Rubie is a fine blade, and the J&T Tux is a joy to use.
The soap, i do like Fougère scents, and this one packs a punch, it is 'darker' than Stirling Varen, but still keeps up what for me marks a fougère smell. It made an instant jump to my top 5 soaps, now i can't wait to try it heavenly counterpart :D

Saturday night and another Single Edge razor. Tonight was the Kampfe Star Lather Catcher. I was too lazy to prepare a Kampfe wedge blade and so used a regular Gem blade instead. Shave characteristics was a little different and so it took a while to dial in the shave. Still, I ended up with a three pass BBS.

19 kampfe.JPG

Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC smooth cap (5)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)