ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

OK, I'm impressed.

pinklather

Having gotten favorable results from using my first coti as a finisher only, I thought I'd try a dulicot on an old US blade from bevel on. 'Dulled the edge on the rim of a ceramic bowl, confirmed it wouldn't cut arm hair.

Resetting the bevel took some time, but did it's job. The Atoma 1200 diamond plate would be much faster. I used primarily circles with some pressure, and finished w/ a few x-strokes.

First dilution to bring it up to 8k+ levels. Sets of 3 sets of 30 circles and it was already doing better than the process I've been doing (norton 4k, Nani 8k). This was FAST. The quality/steadiness of my strokes make the progress from here more difficult. I'm lousy at HHT except w/ a C12k. I could coax some results off the stone, but several further attempts made no improvement, so I stropped and did a small test shave (atg on heavy growth) and got really good results. I suspect the limitations of my stroke smoothness and flatness will be the main obstacle at this point. I would really have to obtain sample hair with which to calibrate my results, 'cause my hair doesn't work well. A neighbor does hair dressing, and the local barber would be likely sources.

What was amazing was the speed and ease the edge went from a set bevel to being ready for finishing. I see what Paul and WDRX were speaking about - that the one rock did it all, and does it pretty quickly. The edge from progressing through dilutions was better than my edges on the Nani 8k. Maybe this is another case of stone compatibility with the steel, but it sure did the job convincingly.

So I'm late to the party, learning what most here already know. 'Glad I got here.

Steel is largely just that--steel. I've sharpened blades from all over the world on my coticules and have gotten nice edges with all of them. But there is a reason that these stones are still loved so much. They leave exceedingly keen and durable edges. I'm glad you're liking your stones.

I seem to struggle with some physical issues of not being that steady in the hand. An accident years ago took out 2/3 of the nerves in one arm & had. They work now, but fatigue easily, occasionally get mild spasms. Holding the razor to minimize this takes some working out, but I usually find a way to make it work. I mention this, 'cause the super light touch for finishing strokes can be a challenge - which is why I work alot with circles.

I tried light circles & strokes on the long thin bout, then on the triangular bout, but had to cheat like heck to get real hht results. Last night, I tried the dry soap approach. 'Finally got some results, but not that great. Tonight, tried bevel to finish on a Dovo inox, and encountered the same limit on hht. I tried liquid dish soap on a dry surface, thinking it might help cushion some of my irregularities. First 40 circles, no improvement. Soap was drying, so a few drops of water and 40 more. HHT1-2 along the edge. I did a couple more drops of water, 40 more circles and it was mostly cutting, and leaving the cut piece hanging. 60 linen, 100 horsehide, and a test shave that was altogether respectable AND SMOOTH. The finishing skill will come. It didn't come overnight w/ the asagi either. I'm still amazed at the speed from 1k to 8k+. 'Very happy w/ the rocks.

Have you ever considered honing your razor in the bathtub? Seriously. Rest your elbow on the rim, and see how it goes. I am not joking.

BeBerlin, Thank You!! I will try that. It would seem to extend the time before the hand/arm fatigues & give me more smooth strokes! That's a great idea! I appreciate it!

Shave results from water only, liquid dish soap: Boker King Cutter would not perform HHT that well, often having to move close to the holding point to get results. The Dovo stainless was dont with the dish soap, and performed well hht1-2 from the stones, 3 after stropping. Boker shaved better. Dovo was good, but not that good.

Time to cheat: I gave both 30 circles, no x-strokes on the asagi, dry. 30 linen, 40 shell. Both were dramatically improved. The shave was much better, but I'll still be concentrating on coti finishing. The better asagi results say nothing about the coti - everything about my fledgling skill level. I say that with confidence, having read Bart, Ralfy & others struggling to learn the jnat and doing the exact opposite of what I did - to get a similar improvement. I'll get there.

I appreciate your kind help.

Why don't you try unicot with these razors first? Unicot is pretty fail-proof. This would give you a benchmark as it will provide pretty much the optimal edge possible with the respective hone and razor. Then you can go ahead and try to match that with dilucot.

Cheers
BlueDun

After the finish on the Jnat, take back the razor to the coti. If the edge is better, you were lacking some keeness. If the edge is inferior, you like the Jnat more, end of story.

BeBerlin said:
Have you ever considered honing your razor in the bathtub? Seriously. Rest your elbow on the rim, and see how it goes. I am not joking.
Great idea, and Saturday is right around the corner.

An alternative to bathicot :rolleyes: might be to try sitting next to a kitchen counter or something else that doesn't make you look like you need to be wearing a tinfoil hat :D

Gents, your graciousness is humbling. Thank You.

I did try unicot, but only when using the coti for finishing only. It seemed to me the coti's edge exceeded the keenness of the nani 8k, so I dulled, and took it back to the point of finishing. The coti progression was faster and superior in keenness. I've not done that - then tried unicot. That certainly is in order.

I hesitate to conclude I just like jnat better (I do LOVE it), until I've done the work to get very good edges from some method on the coti. I'm inclined to critique my skills before doing that. I'm certainly not afraid to do the work, take the time. For some it comes easily. I seem to have to work at it. At least it's good work :)

Paul: 'bathicot'. That's great!

The bathicot method does suggest I could use the counter - or an armchair with a cushion removed to raise the height of the arm, relative to the seat. This is a great idea. Thank You!

I suspect I do have some pride issue happening that makes me think I should be able to get results without tape. Maybe the tape is the 'walking' before I learn to run. So be it. I'll get there.

Don't fear the tape, the tape is our friend.

Also I sit at my table, and rest my forearm about half way up, on the tables edge, this leaves my arm supported but free to hold my Coticule, I find it very comfortable indeed

Keep up your good work, and enjoy

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Happy Noob!

RicTic's thread asking for evaluations of the recently bought stones had a lucky beginning. It seems RicTic also got an LPB and describes rock behavior like my own.

http://coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/21023.html

The short version is that slurry dulling had been holding back the edge development. I have to wash the surface about every 15 strokes or circles. 7 sets of that are giving very good results. Because I started with finishing, fatigue/unsteadiness was minimal. I'll try finishing under dripping, slow running water. Big thanks to Bart again for a solution, and to each who've been so patient and kind to the noob.

Don't fear the binder clip. The bind clip is your smile producing friend. Now I'll quit. More to follow.

Back