ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Paradigm

I received my ship notice from WCS and my ship notice from Wolfman! :disco1:disco1

It was odd that when I got on Wolfman's wait list, I expected my number not to be called for a year and so I ordered a Paradigm to keep me busy until my number came up. Now with the delays in the Paradigm and the quick wait list of Wolfman, both will be arriving at the same time.

With WCS you can have it send to a second party to prevent extra costs but James won’t have any of it, you pay then it’s your address that it’s shipped too. My last WR2 cost me a lot of extra money and (for me) it was a very average shaver :headwall1

After being delayed for three months, my Diamondback arrived a day earlier than expected, which was unusual for the US Post Office since they did not deliver my held mail until two days after I returned. I had a chance to slip it in for tonight's shave. Not having a Paradigm or any other high end DE shaver to compare it to, I have to say that I was completely impressed with the shave. The razor felt very heavy, but completely balanced in my hand no matter how I gripped it. Because of it's weight, I let the weight of the razor do the work and just guided it.

Unlike my normal procedure for testing a new razor, tonight I did not have time to change out a used blade from my other razor and so I used a new blade. There was definite blade feel, but it was not uncomfortable and the head just fell into the correct angle. I could have gotten away with a one pass and minimal touch up DFS, but because I was testing it, I went for a second pass and ended up with a two pass BBS with no touch up.

I remember the video of someone butchering his face with the Diamondback, and after having with it tonight, I cannot imagine how that person could even come close to getting such a bad shave because this could easily become a daily shaver for me if I didn't already have 40 razors in my active rotation. I am totally impressed and to quote @Snuff " love it ... love it ... did I mention that I liked it?" :daumenhoch

Very kind of you to make those waiting in Europe more willing to pay customsduties on this razor :lol

Thanks for this first review!

Ah and there are those old foxes .....

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-23 om 08.45.54.jpg

Take it for what it is but after one shave I believe the 17-4 is the better razor, the paradigm javelin still being my favorite.

I noticed that many of you are starting to receive your Diamondbacks now. Please check your top caps carefully. It appears that the earlier razors had problems with the polishing on theirs and I just discovered something more serious on mine, which might be due to the polishing process, or it might be a more serious problem with manufacturing.

I noticed two nights ago, after disassembling the razor, that the edge of the cap on one side was uneven and not straight. upon feeling the bottom of the edge, I could feel the uneven area. I did not notice this earlier as the blade was supported well and kept straight. My concern was that if I ever wanted to sell the razor, I would have a hard time selling it because of the imperfection.

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

I sent an email to WCS and to Andy at Paradigm directly. So far WCS has not responded to me. Andy did and he said he would send me a new cap immediately, but is requesting I send back the original cap as he noticed some other areas that might not be adequate in the manufacturing. So now more waiting. Although this is my first Paradigm, I don't think I have heard of others having qc problems like for this razor.

Andy will make good I'm sure of it. This razor came to soon on the market (the reason behind all this I can't post on a forum). After comparing both the Diamondback and the Javelin (prototype of the diamondback) IMHO most people would have preferred the Javelin, still smooth but much much more efficient, more so then the 17-4.

DEED2B01-93CA-497C-B8AA-5F1F1D69EDAE.jpeg
2C17815E-8C58-4940-854B-2503E4274BCE.jpeg

The difference in shaving head between the 17-4 and Diamondback can be captured nicely in a photo.

The difference in length of the handle is also clearly visible, with the Diamondback having a slightly larger diameter.

Unfortunately, if you look closely you can also see that the Polishing of the Diamondback lags behind that of the 17-4.
It is hard to see but the side of the top plate of the Diamondback is glossier than the side of the bottom plate.

On the top plate itself, the lesser finish is even very visible and actually quite scandalous for the money this razor has to pay and the long wait. :kommnurher1

My top plate is completely in order and doesn't show that deformation as with the razor of @gvw755

Unfortunately, if you look closely you can also see that the Polishing of the Diamondback lags behind that of the 17-4.
It is hard to see but the side of the top plate of the Diamondback is glossier than the side of the bottom plate.

On the top plate itself, the lesser finish is even very visible and actually quite scandalous for the money this razor has to pay and the long wait. :kommnurher1

My top plate is completely in order and doesn't show that deformation as with the razor of @gvw755
So together with that of @gvw755 you have one complete perfect razor, and a handful of badly finished parts, I see the business of Paradigm falter over this. As you said, at that price point you expect a perfect piece of hardware!

Mine looks ok at first sight but if you put the baseplate on it’s side and you put a ruler on the top then both ends are a millimeter higher then the rest of the side. And this is the case on both sides of the baseplate

You'd almost think this is as designed, when they all have similar problems. Almost a Zeppelin-variation.

Back