ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Apollo / Ben Hur

Another travel razor. The handle consists of two parts. The upper part is stored in the lower part.

To give an indication of the size I photographed it with a 2€ coin. It has the typical ben hur/apollo head.

IMG_20191018_081928196_HDR~3.jpg
IMG_20191018_082117770_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20191018_082150783_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20191018_082214617_HDR~2.jpg

The handle and bottomplate of this one is is aluminium, with a gold finish. Bottomplate mentions "Apollo"and "Made in Germany". The topcap seems the usual pot-metal.
Fantastic case. I've never seen an Apollo in such an unusual case.

I've one of these as well, uncased. Cost me €5 at a fleamarket. Always placed them more recent, 1970s or so, basically their end run as razorbrand.

(Premesso : Sono un Italiano e scriverò in italiano ... Google Traslate utilizza un algoritmo abbastanza contorto per latraduzione da italiano al tedesco e utilizzandolo rischierei di non essere compreso.)

Da appassionato di questo Marchio, ho scritto numerosi post in svariati forums di amatori di rasoi e rasatura @efsk e @Jake già mi conoscono e voglio dare il mio piccolo contributo anche questo promettente forum.

UN POCO DI STORIA
Da numerose ricerche che ho fatto in questi anni e da documenti trovati in rete posso dire con certezza che la Friedrich Heckenrath Ben-Hur Rasierklingen Fabrik nasce a Solingen - Merscheid il 1905 ed è diventata famosa particolarmente per la produzione di lame particolarmente fini e di qualità , successivamente si specializza in produzione di Rasoi a Mano Libera e Rasoi di Sicurezza. Coprendo il mercato Tedesco, Belga, Francese, Italiano, Spagnolo e successivamente quello dell'America Latina.

Qui una un'immagine che reca l'intestazione della ditta che dice solo "Rasierklingen Fabrik":

o3Jq51N.jpg

Mentre in questa fattura si evince oltre alla data di creazione della Fabbrica (1905) anche che inizia a produrre oltre alle lame anche "Apparate"
cioè Rasoi:

kkfYQhg.jpg

Uno dei primi rasoi che rendono la Friedrich Heckenrath Ben-Hur Fabrik famosa è questo modello di mia proprietà:

2x6cwK5.jpg

anche nella sua lussuosa custodia:
LhQlWnm.jpg

dImiWtk.jpg

PvbcdO5.jpg

Cosa lo rendeva innovativo rispetto a gli altri di quell'epoca ? il peso innanzitutto e la sua straordinaria maneggevolezza!
Esportandolo anche in altri paesi come la Spagna:
57lynnG.jpg

Qui abbiamo uno stano cambio di nome della Fabbrica da Friedrich Heckenrath Fabrik a Ben-Hur Co. questa dicitura compare
solo in alcuni pezzi pensati per l'esportazione in Spagna, Portogallo, America Latina e anche in USA il Rasoio BEN-HUR N°2
è stato il primo rasoio prodotto dalla Friedrich Heckenrath Fabrik:

PnJx8m3.jpg

2Tp8Usp.jpg

devo dire che non è stato affatto semplice trovare questa scatola molto rara ... ma purtroppo il rasoio era mancante.

Si è parlato molto su come mai Friedrich Heckenrath utilizzasse per marchiare i suoi prodotti due nomi diversi:
"Apollo" e "Ben-Hur" molti utenti sui vari forum di rasatura ipotizzano che utilizzasse principalmente il marchio Apollo e per alcuni tipi
di mercato estero come quello francese utilizzasse in marchio Ben-Hur per distinguersi da un'altro marchio francese con lo
stesso nome cioè Apollo .... Oppure che abbia cambiato il nome del proprio marchio con l'avvento in Germania del partito Nazista
e con l'avvento del Fascismo in Italia... (Ben_Hur infatti è un celebre ebreo).

Sono certo che a questa domanda non sapremo mai rispondere. Certo vorrei sfatare il mito del cambio di nome per l'avvento del partito
Nazista - Fascismo che avrebbero potuto non vedere di buon occhio questo nome.

Sappiamo tutti che il Partito Nazista come il Fascismo (quest'ultimo qualche anno in più) erano presenti in Germania e in Italia dal 1933 al 1945..
Se Friedrich Heckenrath era tanto condizionato dalle correnti politiche dell'epoca da cambiare addirittura un marchio di Fabbrica come mai
in pieno regime fascista il 5 aprile 1940 di reca a Roma per registrare i marchi sia Apollo che Ben-Hur? (qui sotto la foto:)
qzrQYpT.jpg

XgGHkPW.jpg

Prossimanente pubblicherò su questo forum una parte dei miei rasoi di questo marchio che a me affascinano
particolarmente e scriverò del rasoio che piu' di tutti ha rivoluzionato il modo di radersi in quegli anni .. il Famoso MIKRON.

Grazie.

Benedetto.

Thank you very much for this very informative post @benedetto ! You taught me a lot here and show that you truly are one of those with the most knowledge about these iconic brands.
You've unearthed some very interesting evidence, and I've never before seen a shipper like that Latin-American Ben Hur 2.
@all: deepl.com is your friend.

Translation:

(Premise : I am an Italian and I will write in Italian ... Google Translate uses a quite twisted algorithm for translation from Italian to German and using it I would risk not to be understood).
As a fan of this brand, I've written many posts in various shavingforums and @efsk and @Jake already know me and I want to give my small contribution also to this promising forum.
A BIT OF HISTORY
From numerous researches that I have done in these years and from documents found on the net I can say with certainty that the Friedrich Heckenrath Ben-Hur Rasierklingen Fabrik was born in Solingen - Merscheid in 1905 and became particularly famous for the production of particularly fine and quality blades, later it specialized in the production of Straight Razors and Safety Razors. Covering the German, Belgian, French, Italian, Spanish and later Latin American markets.
Here an image with the company header that only says "Rasierklingen Fabrik":

While in this invoice we can see in addition to the date of creation of the Factory (1905) also that it begins to produce in addition to the blades also "Apparate".
that is Razors:
[IMG]
One of the first razors that make the Friedrich Heckenrath Ben-Hur Fabrik famous is this model that I own:
[IMG]
even in its luxurious custody:
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
What made it innovative compared to the others of that time? The weight first and foremost and its extraordinary handling!
Exporting it to other countries like Spain:
[IMG]
Here we have a strange name change of the Factory from Friedrich Heckenrath Fabrik to Ben-Hur Co. This wording appears only in some pieces designed for export to Spain, Portugal, Latin America and also to the USA. The BEN-HUR Razor N°2 was the first razor produced by Friedrich Heckenrath Fabrik:
[IMG]
[IMG]
I must say that it was not at all easy to find this very rare box... but unfortunately the razor was missing.
There was much talk about why Friedrich Heckenrath used two different names to brand his products:
"Apollo" and "Ben-Hur" many users on the various shaving forums speculate that he used mainly the Apollo brand and for some foreign markets as the French used in the Ben-Hur brand to distinguish itself from another French brand with the same name that is Apollo ... Or that he changed his brand name with the advent in Germany of the Nazi party and with the advent of Fascism in Italy... (Ben_Hur in fact is a famous Jew).
I'm sure we'll never be able to answer that question. Surely I would like to dispel the myth of the name change for the advent of the party...
Nazis - Fascism that might have frowned upon this name.
We all know that the Nazi Party as well as Fascism (the latter a few years more) were present in Germany and Italy from 1933 to 1945.
If Friedrich Heckenrath was so conditioned by the political currents of the time that he even changed a factory brand as never before...
in the middle of a fascist regime on April 5, 1940, he brought both Apollo and Ben-Hur trademarks to Rome to register? (below the photo:)
[IMG]
[IMG]
Next I will post on this forum a part of my razors of this brand that fascinate me particularly and I will write about the razor that most of all revolutionized the way of shaving in those years .. the famous MIKRON.
Thank you.
Bless you.

Questo marchio da subito mi ha appassionato, il suo logo e le linee dei rasoi che produceva Friedrich Heckenrath mi affascinano da sempre ..
I rasoi nonostante la loro semplicità sono tuttora molto ricercati dai collezionisti come me ... questo fa si che i prezzi di mercato aumentano esponenzialmente, devo dire che i pezzi e le configurazioni di questi rasoi sono veramente infinite e ad oggi non sono sicuro di conoscere tutti i set che hanno prodotto.
La fabbrica distingueva i vari rasoi con un numero (ad eccezione del modello Mikron e modello Spezial di cui scriverò in seguito)
Qui alcuni esempi dalla mia collezione:
3tNpRPN.jpg

YOJMVdn.jpg

h79C9hd.jpg
da notare sulla scatola il doppio marchio (a riprova che sono la stessa cosa) APOLLO BEN-HUR

Qui un rarissimo modello nella confezione effetto marmo:
6y9yYjK.jpg

zMpVcLx.jpg

JZkFzyd.jpg

Rasoi per tutte le tasche .. qui un modello molto economico e semplice:
GYmQsXM.jpg

3ZzJvPt.jpg

Doppio marchio stesso contenuto:
ZqFhx1A.jpg

LnT9duX.jpg

J5WHXzP.jpg

vTUhLFm.jpg

Confezioni sempre distinguibili da gli altri concorrenti:
9kWXFOM.jpg

H3GV5dl.jpg

ZXGmLw6.jpg

Pelle e Bachelite...
qKRsuUU.jpg

lPmBhS8.jpg

mI6PUGp.jpg

w6Vuugf.jpg

vg4atfC.jpg

d33dP8s.jpg

di più recente fattura...

0B8oLtk.jpg

xXWrGqv.jpg

c73s5vQ.jpg

dTs2p1R.jpg

2ODT82y.jpg

Mini set da viaggio !
IUnxLx3.jpg

XmmD72b.jpg
Non tutti sanno che i mini set da viaggio come questo in alto (a differenza di questi in Bachelite) venivano fatti tutti da un unica ditta ! Tutti perfettamente uguali... ma con nominativi diversi!
qoFGsX8.jpg

posseggo tanti altri modelli di Apollo Ben-Hur ma li pubblicherò pian piano altrimenti rischierei di monopolizzare il forum :lol....

In seguito scriverò del Mikron e dello Spezial... che meritano un post entrambi tutto dedicato a loro...

Grazie.

Benedetto.

As anticipated in my previous posts today I will write to you about what I know about the famous Apollo / Ben-Hur "Mikron". This adjustable razor is one of the few razors to be highly sought after and in great demand by all of us collectors. But why? This adjustable razor owes its popularity as well as its charm from the German lines to its mysterious history and its precision and delicacy in cutting the beard.
When was it born?

Before 1938! Let's see why ...
In numerous shaving forums you can read numerous theories about it and despite my in-depth research I cannot tell you with mathematical certainty the first year of its invention and production. But it is certain that (as was used at that time) Friedrich Heckenrath & Co. produced and distributed the new razors even without having the registered patent because it wanted to observe whether the product liked or disliked the buyers. In the event that the product was successful, the manufacturer and the inventor went to register the patent. That said, it is clear that we cannot rely on the year that is written in the registered patents nor can we rely on the year that is written in the instructions that we find in our Mikron case, because between the 1st Mikron produced and sold (pilot) and the 1st Mikron produced and sold with a registered patent and accompanied by instructions passed many years. I believe that the mythical Mikron razor was born in the mind of Mr. Paul Lauterjung between 1938 and 1950 (release of the first patent).
In the photo there are the 3 Mikron series produced between 1950 and 1975.
QbwevPe.jpg
Was it the first adjustable razor?
No. Let's see why ..
The first true adjustable razor patent was born in 1919 from an idea by the Frenchman Fernand Cailleteau (obviously after light years from the German engineering signed Lauterjung).

How many versions of Apollo / Ben-Hur Mikron have been produced?
3 series were produced.
The first series:
8D5TYfB.jpg

d1LkaIH.jpg

yEKHz2M.jpg

JYhENSp.jpg

juqkU6F.jpg

The second series:
LefAl55.jpg

xM89uM7.jpg

syMgTlK.jpg

zItwWzt.jpg

MoUa5Yc.jpg

QDURUWM.jpg

ZXVbI8c.jpg

FyYmzmy.jpg

vOVzGzC.jpg

3Wqc6kT.jpg

0YTaUnX.jpg

urb6H0k.jpg

sd2gM6c.jpg

IXqJsN1.jpg

xW3D5Bw.jpg

kEhHpQJ.jpg

uPlBlXB.jpg

jiagIhG.jpg

gOriWIA.jpg

KNFlqL1.jpg

LHklCTc.jpg

The third series:
nORzcqK.jpg

IOTy59Y.jpg

LjhUEZr.jpg

JqqtCOf.jpg

q7q8CvI.jpg

UXOr22l.jpg

tFzCLwp.jpg

QBtAdxi.jpg

4ft4cv6.jpg

iHh2PRK.jpg

czspddr.jpg

OcQ7FmF.jpg

4woksTN.jpg

6znRrqD.jpg

What I love about this razor is its tool kit. The first series comes out with only the blades. From the second series onwards the Mikron was equipped with N ° 15 and N ° 20 blades also by a cleaning brush and a capsule that contained alum of rock (hemostatic) .. from the third series onwards it is added in addition to the N blades ° 15 and N ° 20, the cleaning brush and the capsule that contained a hemostatic also by a key that disassembled the Mikron for a more thorough cleaning.
iBjcV0U.jpg

Having no catalogs, I can assume that the price changed first if you chose a model coated in gold or nickel, by the number of blades supplied and by the type of case that customers chose. Bakelite or Leather or later Pollopas.

mdqyrxD.jpg

Further on, I think you are pleased to dedicate a post for the cleaning and maintenance of the three series of versions of Mikron ...

Thank you.

I like the first set of Apollo - the diagonal slants with the humpback. :daumenhoch

Makes the B3 look tame in comparison.
These are actually torqued.

Back