ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Apollo / Ben Hur

Here a beautiful advertising image of the thirties .. which speaks volumes about how old this brand is:

90d0Ykw.jpg

Is it possible that Friedrich Herkenrath for the logo of his factory was inspired by the image of Rodolfo Valentino in the film Ben-Hur?

veB2Pmb.jpg

WuaCRz3.jpg

16JE3TW.jpg

RQ7ezR3.jpg

3xTySSS.jpg

Benedetto.

Some German factories commissioned razors that were given to their most loyal customers or were distributed on festive occasions.
We know that the well-known New Yorker Hoffritz jewelry used the Merkur brand, Siemens used the well-known Pfeilring house, Horbachstahl commissioned Walbusch B5 and there are many other examples. This shows us that some razor models were so appreciated by customers that they were even offered as a gift by replacing (not always) the trademark with the trademark of the company that commissioned the pieces. Finding these razors is much more difficult than finding razors with the original brand. I wanted to show you some examples (Apollo only) from my collection:
VP79IbU.jpg

kMK4VUw.jpg

yJs3asY.jpg

4LUZHRH.jpg

DMHtHO8.jpg

LK4GG45.jpg

zCgrNJx.jpg

KfJv6wT.jpg

JZzRlmk.jpg

qBciUzE.jpg

2WUDgfM.jpg

17yyK6H.jpg

NnNzI1O.jpg

y4AkdXJ.jpg

most likely here Lindberg (exporter of musical instruments) decided to replace the head cover to make the razor cheaper.

eGZLws0.jpg

I don't know about you but I find these razors beautiful and I always try to buy them.

A6yh0Ub.jpg

KQxgCL3.jpg

3tNpRPN.jpg

Benedetto.

New addition to my collection
K0RDK9r.jpg

QC35gTU.jpg

58FHr8T.jpg

fKCzhhn.jpg

Whenever I buy or get one of these razors together with the object, I always want to know its history ... to whom it belonged .. where it was .. where it was kept .. or where it was found .. I must say that every one of these razors tells a little story. For example, this model I received from a sweet lady from Bolzano is strardinary because for the first time I found a case different from the other bigger ones .. and really impressive how many types of cases this company has made, really to please everyone and I despite years of collecting behind me still amaze me.

02t4ddm.jpg

MRH611x.jpg

6ZXBVSq.jpg

6ZyAGph.jpg

u0kbAIU.jpg

aPAVoKh.jpg

TL7d1BM.jpg

7RjMPal.jpg

As you will notice it is not in splendid shape like my other razors but it has cost me very little. Only a wash and the chrome in some places has returned to shine as in the past.

Benedetto.

I only have one to add here, but for the sake of sharing :)

I find it interesting how there’s quite a few variations on the matched zippered cases for this razor (the adjustable). I’ve counted at least a handful, some smaller, some bigger with styptic and everything. And some in real leather and some with leatherette exterior in various colors. Here’s mine to join the party, no room for a styptic but case in leather. And a manual to boot! ...Jake, you know this one ;)

6F3E161C-BE5C-419D-BB89-23DD329B471D.jpeg
E4D90B65-B6D3-4A82-A170-AD33A4236CD4.jpeg
FD09893F-D58A-468C-B24E-4DB2B2A111CA.jpeg
37D0FD77-3B32-43C5-B479-FC236D24CEFF.jpeg

Dear collectors .. I recently found this extremely rare model of "Apollo N ° 311 portable razor" ... Found in a flea market in a small town in south-eastern Ukraine (about 2300 km away from Solingen). How did it get there? Probably this razor dated after 1935 (English patent filed in 1938 https://www.razors.page/patents/GB485747/) was used by a German soldier who participated in the Second World War, the razor in fact was part of a lot that belonged to a veteran.

dsW43RQ.jpg

4Tu9yCq.jpg

002O4Mm.jpg

6vlZNHh.jpg

OE8LtqA.jpg

JNmFUcn.jpg

tH8QyHP.jpg

6d3yGWD.jpg

CfNz7mO.jpg

Here are some comparison photos with his brother 311 ...

FyURI6p.jpg

unzWeR6.jpg

x7zodRD.jpg

wcB6CZx.jpg

5CGlyVh.jpg

zmtKjfZ.jpg

ltxqwOT.jpg

I confess that finding this little gem was very very difficult :nic1and besides what @efsk owns I haven't seen many around ...

Thank You
Benedetto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrific find Benedetto! And in marvellous condition, too!
Good to know there’s two of these. Mine doesn’t feel so lonesome now

Apollo and Ben Hur came from the same factory, although in the 1910s the Apollo-brand belonged to a different producer. Somewhere end of the 1920s early 1930s Herckenrath acquired the rights to the name, possibly to do with Jewish associations to the Ben Hur name, which were not a positive thing in 1930s Germany.
This two-piece razor shows a baseplate of one brand, and a handle of the otherassembled into one piece, so not a frankenrazor. I call it my Ben Pollo.
DSC06547.JPG
DSC06549.JPG
DSC06550.JPG
DSC06551.JPG
DSC06552.JPG
DSC06556.JPG
DSC06557.JPG
DSC06558.JPG
DSC06559.JPG
DSC06561.JPG
DSC06562.JPG
DSC06563.JPG

I'm adding a variant to this thread.

I bid on and won this very sorry looking Apollo Mikron.

I am assuming that the small piece of handle that came with it is the original part. It fits and is the right length for the rest of the razor.
A couple of people told me that I was crazy and that I had bitten off more than I can chew here. :D

It says Apollo Mikron on the base plate so its definitely a Mikron 1. (See third imnage below). There are not many out there, but every other one that I've seen has a metallic handle.

I have no idea on what it is. My guess is that its some sort of transition between a very early Mikron and a Busch Flexi. If anyone can shed some light here, please do so.

As it arrived in the background and the handle that I made in the foreground.
AM1.jpg
I did come careful measurements and ended up with the handle that is now on it. (third time lucky). The handle is turned out of a nylon and although I did some pretty serious polishing, it hasn't become shiny.
The upside of it been made out of nylon is that it will never break again.

I'm not sure about the white dot but it looks like there was one on the original. The adjustment mechanism works perfectly.

Overall considering what I received - I'm very happy with the end result.

AM2.jpg
The bottom screw, like all Mirons is there to line up the twist knob. This one is stuck in there - and it can remain that way because I really don't want to force it.

I lined the numbers on this one up by slightly adjusting the length of the handle.

AM3.jpg
This is how it should break down but this one breaks down into five pieces.
AM4.jpg

Back