ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone of the day (HOTD)

a beginning straight shaver that hones on such a stone that's going to be a shave to remember o_O When you start honing your own razors it's best to stay away from odd forms IMHO.

Wow talking about a natural talent! I remember a month or two ago you couldn’t shave with a razor for a week without sending it back for honing great for you! Be careful it doesn’t get stolen, thieves love gold

Wow talking about a natural talent! I remember a month or two ago you couldn’t shave with a razor for a week without sending it back for honing great for you! Be careful it doesn’t get stolen, thieves love gold

Was longer ago Ronny, time flies when having fun . At least 5 months. Just a quick leaner, I usually learn new things quite quickly

Tomorrow shave test.

I’ve read in the SotD it went well.
Did you tape the spine with tesa outdoor tape?

And maybe a strange question, but did the razor left gold residu on the stone?

No I used 3m electrical tape, I bought tesa outdoor, the width of tape was too wide for the razor. I heard someone explaining in a YouTube video that those mm is differences of tape doesn't matter for the honing process. And I did a bevel reset with 3m electrical tape a few weeks ago, so now I'm sticking with 3m electrical tape (Super 88)
Why do you think it should give gold residu on the stone? I didn't saw any on the stone, I believe the gold is applied with electrolysis, some Dovo razors have the same (much less than mine).

By the way today I did a refresh today on my 8k Naniwa and 110 laps on Thurigian stone.

Just curiosity.
If I hone a razor it leaves marks (mostly dark residu) on the stone.
So I thought it will also do that to the gold plating.

Just curiosity.
If I hone a razor it leaves marks (mostly dark residu) on the stone.
So I thought it will also do that to the gold plating.

Yes that's also the case with me because that's a sign you are removing steel, I'm not reaching the gold plating, the edge/bevel is not gold plated.

Last edited:
8k Naniwa and 110 laps on Thurigian stone.

Minor advise if you want to read it. 110 laps on a Thuringian after a 8k Naniwa is much to much, unless you are not happy with the wide of your razor and want to have ist fast at 6/8 or less. Listen and feel the stone. Yes, the Thuringian „speaks“ to you and says exactly when it is done. At the beginning you will feel not much resistance of the stone an a higher Sound. While honing the Sound becomes duller and the resistance of the raisor on the stone rises. When this happen, make another two double strokes for nerve-calming and the razor is done. This might happen on your stone after arround 20 to 30 double strokes. Clean the Razor and go on the stop. You will not reach a better or keener razor wir more strokes. After that point the blades dengenerates (but, that’s the curious thing with Thuringians, after a lot of more strokes One gets again the result one had if had stopped as said before).

However, your Stone, your razor and I give this advise only once. Listen to your Thuringian.

8k Naniwa and 110 laps on Thurigian stone.

Minor advise if you want to read it. 110 laps on a Thuringian after a 8k Naniwa is much to much, unless you are not happy with the wide of your razor and want to have ist fast at 6/8 or less. Listen and feel the stone. Yes, the Thuringian „speaks“ to you and says exactly when it is done. At the beginning you will feel not much resistance of the stone an a higher Sound. While honing the Sound becomes duller and the resistance of the raisor on the stone rises. When this happen, make another two double strokes for nerve-calming and the razor is done. This might happen on your stone after arround 20 to 30 double strokes. Clean the Razor and go on the stop. You will not reach a better or keener razor wir more strokes. After that point the blades dengenerates (but, that’s the curious thing with Thuringians, after a lot of more strokes One gets again the result one had if had stopped as said before).

However, your Stone, your razor and I give this advise only once. Listen to your Thuringian.

Thanks will do that.

Puma 9. The bevel was still ok. No chirts etc.

So I started with a coticule and finished on thuringer bout.

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_160736233_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20191124_160736233_HDR~2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 11
Back