ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Interchange

G

I would like to propose something:Whoever of you wants to feel what i mean saying <sharp edge>
before stroping ,he can send me a razor to hone it (with my method),returning it back. This does not do it for a knowledge show,but just for a real feeling ,because as I answer to Chris many things are subjective.After ill post which coticule used and the exact stages.Should be keep me informed if the previus honing performed with tape and what thickness.Also i would like to send me his eazor honed before stroping, to have a felling too of his job.
Best regards
Emmanuel

That is a good idea. I've found sending razors to other fellows, and experiencing edges done on different stones, by different guys has been a very valuable part of my learning experience. They tend to set the bar pretty high. (which reminds me, i've got a razor to send out to Ralfy PDQ)
I'm tempted to take you up on that Emanuel.
Nice gesture.

Indeed, a very nice offer! I might try it one day, Emmanuel. :thumbup:

best regards,
Matt

great offer:thumbup: , I may give it a try but only after I become more experienced otherwise I could be very disapointed with my poor technique:cry:

Regards

Laurent

Where are you Jean Fransois?.From your name i can conclude France or Canada.

Emmanuel

jfdupuis said:
If I had more razors in my arsenal I would most definitely send you one to try your method on it!

Iam sending a PM with my address.
Emmanuel

A few weeks ago, as I was wondering here what was the difference between HHT3 and HHT4, Emmanuel sent me a PM and proposed to hone one of my razor till HHT4 and to tell me how to increase my HHT. I was a bit ashamed because my exercise razors are in quite poor condition and sent him my last bought exercise razor: a bad ebay deal (some teeth on the edge, deep corrosion even some hidden corrosion on the edge...).
With 800 grits sandpaper and my La Veinette I succeeded in finding some good steal and setting a bevel but never achieved more than HHT2 HHT3 on medium hair after stropping.

Some days ago, Emmanuel phoned me to explain me (in french:) ) where according to him my HHT was and what he did to increase it.
To him ,I was at HHT0/HHT1 (but he used his "lethal weapon", his wife very fine blond hair), and to go to HHT 4 he did only 4 sets of 20 elliptical moves (if I remind well) on a misty slurry (3 rubs) and 60 very light X-strokes on water.

Today my razor arrived from Greece, I couldn't help from testing the HHT with my daughter's fine blond hair. It was an amazing HHT4 or even HHT 5 sometimes at more than 5cm from the holding point:scared: So now this poor little razor will certainly become my new reference razor.

Thanks a lot Emmanuel for all the time you spend for me, your help and advice :thumbup:

This experience made me more confident about my technique and now I'm sure that it is in the finishing stage that I have progress to do.

Laurent

PS what is also interesting is how consistent the various dilucot methods are, and how markers like HHT enable to give an accurate diagnosis (what Emmanuel did, was what advised me some members Bart, Gary....)

Test shave this morning
It was one of the smoothest (surely the smoothest) shave WTG for an edge which was sharper (according to HHT) than DE blade. XTG, I got a little irritation around the adam apple area but it is a hard spot for me where I have always difficultie so there it is just a problem of my shaving technique.
The edge is also very forgiving and at the same time very sharp.
It is definitely well above my "professionaly honed" Dovo Special and above the best results I have ever had (decent HHT 4 on the first half of the blade and a very good HHT 3 on the other) by using hard soap trick.

Emmanuel, when you were talking to me, I have heard that you were thinking of making a movie of your technique on youtube, so please do it!
I have watched Bart's videos dozens of times, even on slow motion trying to find the quintessence of his technique and everytime, it helped me .

Regards

Laurent

Bart said:
I'll tape Emmanuel's honing during the Coticule weekend in September...;)
Good idea Bart

Emmanuel said:
Paul ,i havent a camera,and i thing my head is not compatible with all of these.
Emmanuel, I think I misunderstood what you were saying:blush: but nevertheless if your hands are photogenic...

Regards

Laurent

Emmanuel said:
Sure Bart.Thats the best Idea.I can hone 5 razors for a chope of Duval.
Your friend
Emmanuel

Well, Duvel is not served on draft (only available in bottles), but consider it a deal.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

chti_lolo said:
Bart said:
I'll tape Emmanuel's honing during the Coticule weekend in September...;)
Good idea Bart

Emmanuel said:
Paul ,i haven't a camera,and i thing my head is not compatible with all of these.
Emmanuel, I think I misunderstood what you were saying:blush: but nevertheless if your hands are photogenic...

Regards

Laurent

Laurent .With practice you will heve same hands photogenic.
Ths Scott honed razor is on the way. I am waiting for his opinion.
Rgds
Emmanuel

Honing vids are always very welcome, everyone does it a little different. You can learn a lot from others technique.

Back