ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lather and honing

DJKELLY said:
If you are getting hht4 off a hone, WTF are you looking for. That's close to it as far as I'm concerned

Amen to that.

Kind regards,
Bart.

:D
Well, it's a first for me.:p And I need the Le Verte to get to a 3... with a med hair too, not my usual fine sample. My first go 'round with the soap yesterday was a bit messy, and didn't pan out for me at all.

Well, mine was just a hotel bath soap called Gilchrist & Soames, but I picked it out of basket at random, so I don't think it matters much. I wouldn't be surprised if a crayon or candle did the same thing, just harder to remove. YT,Denny

Just colour all over the stone like it's a crayon. Then use your thumb to rub it in. Hard. Mine got a glazed, polished look to it.

Ok just finish testing this once again, this time I used a vintage Soligen "no name" hollow 6/8, and my beloved la Vienette.

After running through a full dilucot from dulled, the edge was popping a thick hair nicely, I would say HHT 3, the thin hair was returning a loud violin, so on to 30 X strokes on the now hard soaped Coticule, the thin hair now popped nicely, at a solid but not amazing HHT3, after stropping the HHT was more solid not quite a HHT 4 on the thin hair, but I went back to my "normal" thicker test hair, and the HHT is as good as I ever get :thumbup:

I have yet to test shave with the razor, I do know that this particlular razor has yet to provide a "Magical" shave, and as it stands that result looks promising, very promising indeed. :thumbup:

So thats 1 at least that has achieved the desired result, a marked improvement in the HHT, with just 30 strokes, and on a layer that it is not known for being a fast finisher, I am most pleased, it became apparent that the first time I did this, I used far too much soap, a very thin "glazed" like finish, describes the soap layer well.

Regards, and best of luck to anyone else thats trying this finishing method
Ralfson (Dr)

That makes three or four of us who have posted successful achievement of this technique. It is definitely viable if Inky can do it. How's that Charnley Forrest experiment going?

I went after the "soapstone" method pretty hard with a test razor and got a brisk result. It felt like it was going to be "crispy" but the effect only lasted a half hour and the alum didn't tingly all that much. I have had far worse. I don't know if this means you can lose the mellow effect of the coticule if you take this too far or not. Whatever, it is nice to have this bolt in the quiver.

Jingoist country cousin, Denbo.

p.s. Sorry, Robin. I couldn't think of anything to tease you with. Promise to get better.

Bart said:
pinklather said:
But at any case, I'm quite confident that the use of lather won't harm your Coticule. There's no historical indication, and neither has my personal use of it ever shown any indication in that direction.

Kind regards,
Bart.
Bart A very old barber gave me and old coticule .He never used water only lather or brillantine.
Brillantine was a cosmetic which put the old men in their hair for glaze.Even the stone is a non pores hones, to day when i add water tends to make bead ,even the hone many times lapped.
Whats your opignion.
Best regards
Emmannuel

tat2Ralfy said:
Ok just finish testing this once again, this time I used a vintage Soligen "no name" hollow 6/8, and my beloved la Vienette.

After running through a full dilucot from dulled, the edge was popping a thick hair nicely, I would say HHT 3, the thin hair was returning a loud violin, so on to 30 X strokes on the now hard soaped Coticule, the thin hair now popped nicely, at a solid but not amazing HHT3, after stropping the HHT was more solid not quite a HHT 4 on the thin hair, but I went back to my "normal" thicker test hair, and the HHT is as good as I ever get :thumbup:

I have yet to test shave with the razor, I do know that this particlular razor has yet to provide a "Magical" shave, and as it stands that result looks promising, very promising indeed. :thumbup:

So thats 1 at least that has achieved the desired result, a marked improvement in the HHT, with just 30 strokes, and on a layer that it is not known for being a fast finisher, I am most pleased, it became apparent that the first time I did this, I used far too much soap, a very thin "glazed" like finish, describes the soap layer well.

Ralfson (Dr)

i find a hht 4 of the strop on a fairly medium hair is going to be good shave no matter what. i find in generaly if i can get a 4 of a thinner hair i get a magical shave atg is also spot on, having said this i have found in some cases hht 4 of thin hair can be a little crispier . btw ralfy i honed my dovo best up again on the la vainette and i got a nice result , i realy like the edge of this layer it is most mellow . sure glad i kept it this hone .

I am glad you kept it too Gaz
they take some getting used to, but its well worth it I think mate

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

garyhaywood said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Ralfson (Dr)

i find a hht 4 of the strop on a fairly medium hair is going to be good shave no matter what. i find in generaly if i can get a 4 of a thinner hair i get a magical shave atg is also spot on, having said this i have found in some cases hht 4 of thin hair can be a little crispier . btw ralfy i honed my dovo best up again on the la vainette and i got a nice result , i realy like the edge of this layer it is most mellow . sure glad i kept it this hone .

Not me. Think I might have finally gotten one of those great finishers. I think the la verte is close to the same result. Have you noticed that with the small bout you have in la verte, Gazbo? D

ah denbo .I do no what lets say i get a very good hht 3 of the hone i'm using. i have gone to another hone and did say 50 laps on my la grosse jaune and yes i have used the la verte and la patite blanch. of the la gosse jaune i have noticed the ultimate improve mant of the hone and i can say i have had hht 4 of the hone that way. i have had the same with la verte but not lpb. this is why if a person has more than one coticule , its worth switching to one of them just to see what happens, as one coti may offer that bit more on water, you never no untill you try. i have a feeling the thin hones can offer just that for some reason, may be they offer a little more draw, my la grosse does just that. when i honed crisses joseph haywood i got a desent 2/3 of the hybrid i did 50 laps on la grosse jaune and the haging hair test went up to a good 4 on a medium to thin hair after stropping well it was passing hht on baby blonde hairs easily from 2" aprox from holding point. i'm sure criss will agree as i sent him the same hair with the razor.

i will try the la verte some more, but the la verte is very consistant and one of the easiest i have ever hopned on. and mine is only 100x30 at a guess, i could easily get by with hone the rest of my life.

cheers gazbo

tat2Ralfy said:
After running through a full dilucot from dulled, the edge was popping a thick hair nicely, I would say HHT 3, the thin hair was returning a loud violin, so on to 30 X strokes on the now hard soaped Coticule, the thin hair now popped nicely, at a solid but not amazing HHT3, after stropping the HHT was more solid not quite a HHT 4 on the thin hair, but I went back to my "normal" thicker test hair, and the HHT is as good as I ever get

That sounds good. I think this technique will truly shine during the times a Dilucot stubbornly refuses to deliver the HHT-score one has come to expect of it with other razors. That's what I was looking for in the first place.
Please keep us posted about the test shave results.

emmanuel said:
Bart A very old barber gave me and old coticule .He never used water only lather or brillantine.
Brillantine was a cosmetic which put the old men in their hair for glaze.Even the stone is a non pores hones, to day when i add water tends to make bead ,even the hone many times lapped.
Whats your opignion.
Yes, I know "brillantine". It's even on the official list of Dutch words. :)
Your experience with that old Coticule doesn't surprise me. Coticules are not porous in the practical sense of that word. They don't soak up water like a synthetic hone, and they don't significantly embed metal debris ("swarf") like a porous hone does either. But that doesn't mean they are completely impermeable. If you put something on top of a Coticule for a prolonged time, it will eventually soak into the stone. I've once heated a Coticule in a skillet and placed a tea candle on top. I did this to fill a small void in the Coticule. The candle was melted easily into the void, but to my surprise, it left a greasy spot on the surface that couldn't be lapped off. It didn't affect the performance, though.

Kind regards,
Bart.

DJKELLY said:
garyhaywood said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Ralfson (Dr)

Not me. Think I might have finally gotten one of those great finishers. I think the la verte is close to the same result. Have you noticed that with the small bout you have in la verte, Gazbo? D

just did 50 laps on la verte and all thought hht was very good of la vainette i would say it was improved slightly for defanat.like i said to ralfy the edges are so mellow in my opinion on the LV the hht responds well but very differant compared to ther hones with more than a mellow edge . lets put it this way the hht is easily as good as what mt ti paste can acheive. thats good enough for me .

Quick update:

Test shave was very good, best shave I have had with that razor so far, no Alum sting as is normal for my Coticule edges, as I type this my skin feels soft and happy, if it wasnt so smooth I would not know I had just shaved :thumbup:

I shall try again with a different razor, and if it works as well as this test, I would consider it a success.

Regards
Ralfson (The Putty Faced Dr)

For sure Gary, that J. Haywood was magical. You set the bar pretty darn high, and I've been working at getting similar results myself.
My results have been very similar to what you guys are finding off the Le Verte. I've never gotten HHT results before like I'm capabale of with that stone. The shaves have been pretty smooth with it too:sleep:

Next shave up for me is with the King Kutter I did with Bart's soap method.

I'm trying this on Chris' faux frameback. I did notice a HHT improvement (1 to 2), but it's still not ready yet. I does seem very promising, and I'm looking forward to working on it some with razors in good shape. It makes me sad to see razors with edges so varied in their width :(

Ok... So I went back after it, and I'm up to HHT-4 along the blade, but that's after stropping. I shaved this morning, so it'll be a bit before I know if this is ready or not.

I'm thinking this technique has legs, though.

Couldn´t this be just the reason why they used oil on coticules? If you don´t clean it afterwards, the oil and the steel will build a soap-like coat, acting the same way. Just a suggestion.

@ emmanuel: Beading water on coticule isn´t new to me, too, even after washing it with soap. Annoys me sometimes.

I tried the dry soap method, by the way (I did way more than 30 x-strokes, maybe around 70), with good results. Haven´t shaved yet, but the best HHT after dilucot i got so far.

Thanks and regards,
Tok

Back