ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Merkur Progress

We

We Americans don't like to be told what to do though :)
I still don't follow, are you saying that a third party bought progresses, replated themselves, and sold them? You don't believe this plating process was done by merkur?
Sorry in advance for being me lol.
Let's see if I can be clearer...
The box is not of that razor.
The razor has been modified.
Your razor is not a NOS.
The seller told you a lie.

I'm sorry but that's the way it is.. If it can console you for $5 you made a golden deal.daumenh!

I think the razor does not have a „white„ handle. I think it‘s the lighting. What I see is a silver Progress handle, similar to that of some Walbusch razors. That would make the handle genuine. Only problem left is the shipper, which shows a plastic/Pollopas 800 series instead of the razor that’s in It, and it is stamped for a plastic/Pollopas razor as well. Might be somebody mixing and matching, might be factory error.

BTW: glad you Drop by again @benedetto / Mi fa piacere che tu sia passato di nuovo a trovarci @benedetto
(I hope that translated well from English to Italian :lol )

@Old School TSD
then .. if I have to be completely honest I also have doubts about the instructions ... as the font is not the one usually used in the instructions of these razors (see the G of progress and compare it with the photos of the other instructions) the print format is incorrect (the instruction sheet folded in half should fit perfectly into the box and not crease) at the bottom of the instruction page translated into English it should read MERKUR - SOLINGEN MADE IN WEST GERMANY and not BRUMML INDUSTRIAL.

This type of box was produced from (approx) 53 until about 1965 i.e. before the fall of the Berlin wall (1989) so the box with the razor inside must have been produced in West Germany .. admitted that Merkur built a batch of razors specifically for Brumml Industrial in California to give to its workers on an anniversary (usually Christmas) ... your salesman friend told you another lie ..

Last edited:
I think the razor does not have a „white„ handle. I think it‘s the lighting. What I see is a silver Progress handle, similar to that of some Walbusch razors. That would make the handle genuine. Only problem left is the shipper, which shows a plastic/Pollopas 800 series instead of the razor that’s in It, and it is stamped for a plastic/Pollopas razor as well. Might be somebody mixing and matching, might be factory error
Well Richard if it were in silver and not white it should be black .. as a 50 year old NOS razor with silver finish on the handle is oxidized .... I see it painted white as this stupid technique was used very often in the past. ..

Thanks to silver oxide I have concluded countless good deals on many sales platforms .. many beginner collectors depreciate their razors exclusively because they could not clean their handles .. seeing them black (unattractive) they sold them cheaply and I bought :breakdance1... As far as I know, Merkur has never produced Progress with a silver finish handle while it did so for the models it sold to the very famous Hoffritz which, being jewelers, specifically asked for the silver finish to embellish the gift they gave to their most loyal customers. But dear Richard I very much doubt that workers in a California construction company would appreciate a neck with a silver finish ...:kaputtlachen1

I think the razor does not have a „white„ handle. I think it‘s the lighting. What I see is a silver Progress handle, similar to that of some Walbusch razors. That would make the handle genuine. Only problem left is the shipper, which shows a plastic/Pollopas 800 series instead of the razor that’s in It, and it is stamped for a plastic/Pollopas razor as well. Might be somebody mixing and matching, might be factory error.
I did a video conference with @Old School TSD and there is white hue on the handle. On close up the handle has some dotted plating loss. The white is definitely there. Props to @benedetto for seeing it (I didn't). Keen expert eye.

What I do know is Merkur, and Walbusch, lacquered their silver handles giving them a white sheen. Most of those from the 50s I’ve seen have black spots or some plate loss, even when not used.
I’m still more interested in the Brumml part of this story. One of mine is gold …

And as for expressing ourselves:
Dear Americans. Us Europeans have basically been spending the past 1500 years, ever since the decline of the Western Roman Empire, learning to be diplomatic. That means, at times we’re over sensitive. Please handle with care. We do have our good sides, such as haute cuisine and damn good wines and beers.
Dear Europeans. Them across the pond have spent the past 300 years dealing with each other over Scotch and guns. They can’t help themselves. Please be gentle. They have their good sides, such as inventing psychedelic Music, Disco, and speed metal. O, and William Burroughs.

I did a video conference with @Old School TSD and there is white hue on the handle. On close up the handle has some dotted plating loss. The white is definitely there. Props to @benedetto for seeing it (I didn't). Keen expert eye.
come on .. it's painted white like this one found online some time ago ... I know these techniques well:fumatore1 ...

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 18
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 18
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 18
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 18
Nobody lied to me, nobody painted this razor, it was not replated after it left the factory, and I've seen others posted exactly like it.
I'm finding many of these comments rather ridiculous and am moving on.

come on .. it's painted white like this one found online some time ago ... I know these techniques well:fumatore1 ...
That is not painted. That is the silver Walbush handle with lacquer to protect the silver. Which is what I‘ve said I believe the handle of @Old School TSD ’s progress is.

Nobody lied to me, nobody painted this razor, it was not replated after it left the factory, and I've seen others posted exactly like it.
I'm finding many of these comments rather ridiculous and am moving on.
Man, you're embarrassing me here. As the unofficial leader of the North American community in Shavingunviserse.com, I am excommunicating you for 3 full days until you see the errors of your ways. If @benedetto says it was replated then it was replated, now let's move on, all of us. :kaputtlachen1

Man, you're embarrassing me here. As the unofficial leader of the North American community in Shavingunviserse.com, I am excommunicating you for 3 full days until you see the errors of your ways. If @benedetto says it was replated then it was replated, now let's move on, all of us. :kaputtlachen1
Lol. God save the queen...JK, can't tell you how glad I am that racist old bat is GONE!

Back