ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Ti honing

Thanks man! I know that method, but from what I understand, Bart recommended using something a little different with the new TI forging which is crazy hard.

jfdupuis said:
Thanks man! I know that method, but from what I understand, Bart recommended using something a little different with the new TI forging which is crazy hard.

I believe he's just recommended adding one layer of tape (if I'm not mistaken) for some TIs that aren't taking the edge we like. So, if you aren't having success, maybe start with one layer of tape and then end with 2.

thanks! I will try that! I did the "bevel" part over my lunch break and it's popping hair quite nicely all across the blade. I think what I'll do when I get home tonight is put one layer of tape back on the razor and do a few more passes with very very light slurry then add another layer (total of 2) and proceed with some very light slurry again for 30 x-strokes then clean it and 50 passes with water only.

what you need to do is set bevel with one layer of tape, untill shaving arm hair easily. then add one more layer of tape do 30 laps on misty slurry and 60 laps on water. keep it light and even . then strop. i have tryed this method and it gives a very sharp edge if done correctly. its that simple .

gary

Sweet! I can't wait to try that on my TI. I've been shaving with it since I got it last week and it's a great shaver, but I'm sure it could use a little refinement! I will keep you guys posted on my results!

Cheers

JF

Hey guys,

just tried to hone my TI with my new coticule and the results were pretty bad. I was able to get the razor to shave hair and then I added one layer of tape for a total of 2 and did 40 passes with light slurry followed by 50 with only water. I stropped and tried the HHT test...not very good guys.. This steel is hard as hell! Any recommendations? I attached some pics of the stone and razor. Do you guys know the layer? I did manage to get another razor, a full hollow 6/8 sheffield razor to look pretty good. I'm also amazed how hard it is to create a slurry with this stone and rubbing stone! Much harder than my previous one.

Thanks!

JF

jfdupuis said:
Any suggestions on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated

It's hard to know exactly what's needed because your post was kind of vague. Define "not good"m

Is this a HHT-1 or 2? 3?

I would most likely try another 50 strokes with 2 layers of tape. If that didn't work, I might do one pass on the slurry stone and do 1 set of half-strokes. Then, clean the hone and do 50 X strokes (light). You don't want to do much with slurry at this stage because you'll just widen that bevel and negate the benefits of the unicot.

I shoot for HHT-2 or 3 off the hone minimum, strop 60/60 linen/leather and that will bring it to HHT-4 almost every time.

jfdupuis said:
Any suggestions on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated

It's hard to know exactly what's needed because your post was kind of vague. Define "not good"m

Is this a HHT-1 or 2? 3?

I would most likely try another 50 strokes with 2 layers of tape. If that didn't work, I might do one pass on the slurry stone and do 1 set of half-strokes. Then, clean the hone and do 50 X strokes (light). You don't want to do much with slurry at this stage because you'll just widen that bevel and negate the benefits of the unicot.

I shoot for HHT-2 or 3 off the hone minimum, strop 60/60 linen/leather and that will bring it to HHT-4 almost every time.

nice coticule , it looks like a la drassante. coti will work, ti's can be a bit tricky. just try agin with one layer do the bevel setting and do a thew dilutions. to be sure . then add layer of tape and repeat.
gary

Well the first time I tried it, I was able to get the razor to shave hair and pass the bevel part. After that I taped and did 40 passes with very light slurry followed byt 50 with water only then stropped. The razor doesn't pass the HHT test at all. It does sort of pop arm hair, but no HHT.

SO I went back with the two layers and did some more passes with light slurry followed by water...same thing no improvements...

I then went all the way back to one layer of tape and dulled the razor and tried the same thing with a bit more passes with the light slurry and the two layers of tape...still nada!

I'm wondering if I should try three layers instead of 2 maybe? Or double the number of passes with light slurry and water?

This really blows, I want to shave with this thing! :p

You're doing too many passes on light slurry, after putting on the tape. That gives you a too wide secondary bevel, too wide to gain the additional keenness while finishing on water.

Here's my advice. Predull and reset bevel with one layer of tape. It should not take long: maybe 3 or 4 set of 20 halfstrokes on slurry. When it shaves arm hair, add a good splash of water top the slurry and make on other set of 20 halfstrokes. Top it off with 20 regular X-strokes. Rinse the hone and the razor well. Add the second layer of tape. Rub with the slurry stone up and down the hone 4 times. Make no more than 20 X-strokes, as light as you can make them without wobling. Rinse everything again. Finish with 40 X-strokes, again as light as you can make them.

Check with HHT, strop 60linen/60leather. I reaaly have yet to meet the TI that doesn't shave exceptionally well after that treatment.

Kind regards,
Bart.

THanks Bart I will try that. The thing that I'm noticing about this stone is that it's very hard to create a good slurry on it. With my old combination stone, I could create a slurry wit ease, this one really requires a good rubbing.

JF

Jean-françois,

The Coticule is a La Dressante. Hard or soft stone, I never found anything to be predicted out of that. Tilt the slurry stone a bit for rubbing slurry. That speeds up the process. (When I said "rub 4 times" in my previous post, I already brought into account that you said the stone is a hard specimen).
Your Coticule probably performs like n°58 of the Vault (repository-II).

Kind regards,
Bart.

Hey bart,

I tried your suggestion and still nothibg. The razor will shave arm hair but it wont pass the hht. The other razor i hone with this stone and technic is poppingn hair like crazy... What should i try next. Does it make a difference that the razor is a solid 7/8 razor?

Please help!

Back