ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

To all struggling Dilucotters

Bart

My wife and I are going out tonight:) , so I don't have time to write a direct answer to all current threads about "getting there" with the Dilucot method. But here's what I've been working on lately:

The new improved Dilucot method

faster and easier

1. Set bevel on milklike slurry with the use of halfstrokes. No changes there. Keep slurry milky.

2. Start of dilution phase: dip one finger in water and drip water in the slurry puddle.
Perform 15 halfstrokes on one side and 15 at the other.

3. Repeat this 10 times: a "fingerload" of water and 1 set of 15 halfstrokes on each side of the blade.

4. Go to tap, rinse 3/4 of the Coticule surface, repeat 1 set of 15 halfstrokes on each side.

5. Rinse completely without rinsing the razor, again repeat 1 set of 15 halfstrokes on each side.

6. Finish with 30 light X-strokes. Done. HHT, strop, HHT and test shave.

Obviously you must adapt all halfstrokes to rolling halfstrokes and the X-strokes accordingly, when that is called for.

So far, It has worked for me better, faster and easier than the old Dilucot (tested on about 10 razors), but it does need further confirmation. Excuse me for not having the time do elaborate further right now.

Best regards,
Bart.

I hope you have a wonderful evening.

You must be psychic! I was just going to try something along these lines myself, it occured to me earlier when doing 1/2 strokes and adding water to keep the slurry just right, I thought "next hone I will keep at 1/2 strokes until I am ready to polish on water, if the 1/2 stroke is done correctly I dont see it not working"
And Bingo! you beat me too it, and tried it enough to feel confident about offering it as advice.

Thank you Sir Bart :thumbup:

Coming soon: the 1/2 stroke coti/bbw method!
Bwhahahaha

Hope you had a great night out Sir Bart :thumbup:

Ahhh...a new and improved method! now I know how to spend my evening heheheh.

Thanks and regards

Good idea bart i will try and see. i did 4 razors last nigh right from bevel rebuild . Boy did i have stiff back coming on , and my bloody head ache with concentration.

I should imagine you have to be nice and light with pressure in the later stages

bart did you get those pictures

garyhaywood said:
I should imagine you have to be nice and light with pressure in the later stages
No, I keep a light pressure during the entire procedure (except when finishing). Just the weight of the added finger, maybe a bit more, but certainly not something I need to concentrate on.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I would have thought so mate, I reckon after the 1/2 strokes your finishing it up like normal

Gonna see if I get time to try it tonight on my Dovo Best, You know they do take a nice edge.

tat2Ralfy said:
I would have thought so mate, I reckon after the 1/2 strokes your finishing it up like normal

Gonna see if I get time to try it tonight on my Dovo Best, You know they do take a nice edge.

This is interesting because I was just thinking that 1/2 strokes throughout the process might be easier (AND, I use a fingerload of water to dilute every time (with the same 15 stroke interval, but those were X strokes).

Those Dovo Best razors do take a nice edge. They respond well to Coticules too :love:

I'm about to try this right now... :thumbup:

I've honed a dozen in this fashion now, and the ease of popping hairs at considerable distance of the holding point, hasn't ceased to amaze me yet.

Kind regards,
Bart.

It's really incredible, and speaks a lot to your character, that after you've worked so hard and mastered something like the dilucot method, to continue to work on ways to tweak the process and make it better. One of the reasons I love this place :thumbup:

I tryed it last night seems alittle odd using half strokes my hht was'nt as good as could be .

I found keeping the pressure light was alittle harder. I woill defanatley use this to speed up process mixed with normal strokes.

Gary,
Don't keep pressure light.
Just do what you always do when you're setting a bevel with halfstrokes. Only finish on water with lightest pressure. HHT should pop like no tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I just finished a wedge on coti 21 set bevel on layer of tape this time. using 600mmesh honed on fast coti then used the half strokes and finished on normal strokes hht bang on. much quiker less head ake less back ake. i will be adding this to my routine.

bart do you do a full stroke or little ones all the way down the hone?untill you have completed 15 lap

bluddy hell i did'nt realize wedges could shave that well. absalutly effort less. one layer of tape worked real good .

I just finished My W&B "The Celebrated" she has a bit of hone wear so its 1 layer of tape, and tbh the bevel is still plenty wide so I have always found it hard to get spot on using dilocut.
The result tonight was very very encouraging :thumbup: I found the procedure piss easy to do, and the HHT was as good as I ever get, I had to work a slight frown out before I started proper, and not counting that I reckon this took about 20 minutes, easier and faster, you are not joking, I look forward to tomorrow nights test shave, I have never managed to get this Razor quite where I want it so I will be very eager to see how it goes
Thank you Sir Bart :thumbup:

garyhaywood said:
bluddy hell i did'nt realize wedges could shave that well. absalutly effort less. one layer of tape worked real good .

I told you Mate :thumbup: a well honed wedge is one of the smoothest ever shavers. I love them.

I would say your dead right this wedge is real smooth.im just like the feed back of hollows.

they make a noise wedges are silent but deadly shavers.in a good way.
this joseph rogers poped arm hair like it had been finished on diamond paste. the weight does the work wtg they are ultra smooth.

Ah... Jolly Roger! Thats my all time fave mate, if I had to only ever use 1 razor, that would be my choice :thumbup:

ii just tryed agin on my da and another old razor. the hht was just like i normaly achieve. just had more time and did the strokes as bart said.This does work and also saves time. i would use this mixed with normaly strokes thank you bart.

Back