ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Merkur Progress

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
One of the more iconic razors available is the Merkur Progress. Since the early 1950s, the 500 series has been available basically unchanged, changes in finishing excepted. Some other variations, notably the 800-series, have long been discontinued.
Based on an original patent by Walter Busch, of Walbusch-fame, see https://razors.page/patents/DE669899/, imho this sets the gold standard for adjustable razors.
To start with, I'd like to show you the very original Progress 500. Back then, numbering started with 0, and details were painted red.
DSC01599.JPG
DSC01601.JPG
DSC01602.JPG
DSC01603.JPG
DSC01604.JPG
DSC01606.JPG
DSC01607.JPG
DSC01608.JPG
DSC01609.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful examples of the Progress.

And although it might be a detail, for me the red markings might be a big help when shaving.

I shave without glasses and with the current Progress it is not possible for me to see what position it is in. That's why I made my own markings on the plastic part with a black pen.

Something special. Also coming from the start of the 1950s, thus starting at 0, and details painted red. Obviously, most exciting is the broken case. No, wait, the bakelite baseplate.
DSC03185.JPG
DSC03186.JPG
DSC03188.JPG
DSC03189.JPG
DSC03190.JPG
DSC03191.JPG
DSC03192.JPG
DSC03194.JPG
DSC03195.JPG
DSC03196.JPG
DSC03198.JPG
DSC03199.JPG
DSC03200.JPG

Progress 800/830 depending on case, of which I have none. Made in the 1950s, possibly longer but that is uncertain. Made out of pollopas, a polymer similar to bakelite. Top dial.
DSC05437.JPG
DSC05438.JPG
DSC05439.JPG
DSC05440.JPG
DSC05441.JPG
DSC05442.JPG
DSC05443.JPG

Also for some years now I have been interested in this type of model .. I believe that together with a few others this razor deserves a particular interest. I'd like to know more but despite my best efforts my research is at a dead end. Here are some models from my collection:

Merkur Progress N°800-830 *
aEpB5yR.jpg

k48CedQ.jpg

lIcTCiA.jpg

7IPNlFd.jpg

TMlLVDh.jpg

pbNzsS9.jpg

iy2SntS.jpg

*The razor has never been used but its packaging is not the original one (if any collector has an extra cream-colored merkur packaging it would help me complete this set :angeber1).

Merkur Progress N°500 Two sets of several years (the one with number 0 and older) both NOS.
z70ug6o.jpg

0zeeDEa.jpg

8PfkDfK.jpg

Aa6W7si.jpg

O63HYrg.jpg

PkUtthq.jpg

gmGmPj2.jpg

huY4RA9.jpg

F85AqRO.jpg

V1RmlFm.jpg

hvgKnyB.jpg

Merkur like others at the time also provided safety razors to companies that requested them. These sets were given to loyal customers as Christmas gifts ... Solingia was a company that produced steel and household metal objects.

1DJdQup.jpg

6CgLOCR.jpg

PBEN3Eg.jpg

C6BENWF.jpg

ByrDiKl.jpg

w6cGu6c.jpg

I hope to be able to find other Progress models, but even these find them in excellent condition is not easy at all.

Benedetto.

What a beautiful specimens and what a pity that they have now abandoned the red marking.
Now I always have to put on the glasses when I have to set them to the right number.

What a beautiful specimens and what a pity that they have now abandoned the red marking.
Now I always have to put on the glasses when I have to set them to the right number.
Send your Progress to me, I am a master at painting the numbers and the head alignment marks red. :proud

Send your Progress to me, I am a master at painting the numbers and the head alignment marks red. :proud

Would you like to attach one of those nice steel FDR adjustment knobs? :sabber1
And do you clean it for me? :kaputtlachen1

The 830 package and instructions (In German on the opposite side)
I'm not sure if the three blades formed part of it. They are labelled 0.06 / 0.08 / 0.10 respectively so I' guessing those would be their thicknesses?

Progress830-01.jpg
Progress830-02.jpg

Attachments

• Progress830-01.jpg
    Progress830-01.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Progress830-02.jpg
    Progress830-02.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 12
They are labelled 0.06 / 0.08 / 0.10 respectively so I' guessing those would be their thicknesses?
that's right.
Great looking set you got there, do you intend to shave with it, as it's looking NOS?

that's right.
Great looking set you got there, do you intend to shave with it, as it's looking NOS?
I shaved with it yesterday. I'll keep the blades unused.
:p Now you guys are going to start on me about the soap again :p

My thoughts:
I think that I'm more used to a Progress than I realize because I found the weight a little off. It feels top heavy. I also tend to prefer heavier razors so I probably applied a bit more pressure than I would normally. Other than that its a typical Progress shave, which I find great.
Its not making it into regular rotation only because of its rarity.

SOTD210811.jpg

Back