ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Walbusch / Walter Busch & Sohn

Zorro, Eros, Mirabilia from Italy all used this B3-head. The PAA Alpha Ecliptic is a copy of an unbranded razor, of which I have one, that I believe to be a predecessor of the B3.

Eros:
DSC05565.JPG
DSC05566.JPG
DSC05568.JPG

Mirabilia:
DSC08781.JPG
DSC08782.JPG
DSC08785.JPG

B3-predecessor of which the PAA Alpha Ecliptic is a copy:
DSC08651.JPG
DSC08653.JPG
DSC08654.JPG
DSC08655.JPG
DSC08656.JPG

The Walbusch B5 represents for many collectors the Rolls Royce of adjustable razors, it is one of the rarest and most appreciated razors of all time. Its design, its history, its robustness for me are incomparable.
mvrPdGa.jpg

This set that I came across is in extraordinary condition. Look for such a complete set with accessories such as the cardboard box, the instructions, the warranty card (1 year from the date of sale), the instructions (original and non-copy), the two "Flexi" blade packs and "Super Flexi" in cellophane, the case without cracks and the razor in fantastic condition.

The old owner told me it's NOS but I'm not sure about that.

9sJAsqg.jpg

nI176j6.jpg

y8KoN6r.jpg

mTBbFIV.jpg

4JSYaBL.jpg

NkD5TU4.jpg

NwrkpGC.jpg

5nY5FLU.jpg

DNvhwt2.jpg

3PiDXwk.jpg

D7APpvg.jpg

The Walbusch B5 is the fusion of two successful razors: the Merkur Progress and the Walbusch.
e3m1phb.jpg

Intuition is undoubtedly brilliant to combine Walbusch's head with Merkur's Progress adjustment.
JbZCYey.jpg

GQ98I1y.jpg

Some variations are made with respect to the Merkur. Progress comes from the ring that stops at the adjustment pawl that is not present in the Walbusch B5 safety razor. Perhaps to better facilitate cleaning inside the handle.
rjKPrFZ.jpg

ACAcXxG.jpg

The Walbusch B5 is available in 3 versions: Standard Set (like the one shown in the photo), Gold Set (like Richard's), Travel Set (in leather bag complete with mirror, brush and soap stick).

Ofg9Ij1.jpg

xiVZPEy.jpg

It is very common for the handle to blacken over time, this does not affect the integrity of this fantastic razor! Personally I love to have all my razors always in great shape :daumenhoch! I wash and rinse them with demineralized water, remove them, oil the gears. But it must be said that not all collectors like me do it others prefer the originality of the razor (including oxideo_O ).

Qp0abyK.jpg

KHlg14o.jpg

FHm14t2.jpg

PS: I advise collectors like me to have very useful information on products to be used to wash their beloved razors. Using polishing cream is not always advisable as it is absolutely not recommended to use tools such as dremel !!! If you have never completely (completely) dismantled razors like Mikron or Walbusch B5 or Merkur Progress, don't do it! (if you want with the help of users I will create a message with some useful tips).

:smile Thank you

Benedetto.

Nice presentation @benedetto !

There's a Walbusch patent describing the adjustment mechanism of the B5, see https://razors.page/patents/DE669899/
I am not sure of this is also the patent used by the Progress.
Regardless of casing, there's three versions I'e seen for the B5: Silver/Brown, Gold/Cream, Silver/Cream. Still searching the latter :)

Last edited:
Nice presentation @benedetto !

There's a Walbusch patent describing the adjustment mechanism of the B5, see https://razors.page/patents/DE669899/
I am not sure of this is also the patent used by the Progress.
Regardless of casing, there's three versions I'e seen for the B5: Silver/Brown, Gold/Cream, Silver/Cream. Still searching the latter :)

Dear @efsk , Walbusch to create his B5 was inspired by the Merkur Progress which was already on sale for a long time in Germany (see https://razors.click/patents/DE483501/DE483501.pdf) the Walbusch B5 has a patent separately registered in 1937 (https://razors.page/patents/DE669899/) while the Merkur patent is dated 4 October 1929 that is 8 years earlier ... Walbusch using his patented head (https://razors.page/ patents / GB469720/) had to use a new patent by force .. the regulation system is the same even if the head changes. The "Progress" was inspired by the first generation Mikron, the first ever adjustable razor to use a numbered pawl for adjustment. The Walbusch B5 is still the son of Merkur Progress like all grandchildren of his grandfather Mikron. As for the versions of the Walbusch B5 I am curious to see them personally in some photos, Walbusch's order catalogs do not show these versions of which you speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently acquired, a Walbusch B3 with original shipper. Note how the shipper calls it the 1935 model. One side not shown, as it's identical to the other.
DSC04259.JPG
DSC04260.JPG
DSC04261.JPG
DSC04262.JPG
DSC04263.JPG
DSC04264.JPG
DSC04265.JPG
DSC04267.JPG
DSC04268.JPG
DSC04270.JPG
DSC04271.JPG
DSC04272.JPG
DSC04273.JPG
DSC04274.JPG
DSC04275.JPG

I know, that's my problem too. I saved the auction, not the pics, that was not enough I now see. Unfortunately I got outbid, it got sold for over €750.

Edit: did a quick search: you can find one at https://www.gut-rasiert.de/forum/index.php/topic,7188.msg143122.html#msg143122

yes, unfortunately these razors are very much sought after and expensive .. a short time ago I participated in an auction for a travel set .. it was sold for over € 900 .. and the razor also had part of the cracked comb.

Thanks Benedetto! I am absolutely very happy with it, and can’t believe I managed to get it. For some reason this managed to stay under a lot of radars when it showed up on eBay.

The artifact is to the best of my knowledge not based on any Walbusch razor. PAA claims the Alpha Ecliptic is based on a Walbusch, but I have never seen the original in a Walbusch catalogue, or as a Walbusch branded razor. Only as an unbranded razor. Doesn't mean it can't be possible, but I've no info apart from their claim to verify.

Hello Collectors!
I finally managed to find this newer travel set as well than the brown one...

uupMLPJ.jpg

zCgramn.jpg

t9PHWds.jpg

I00ltrb.jpg

VXleECI.jpg

SqxbAdS.jpg

fwvYFO9.jpg

with its cheapest model...
tSE6gEZ.jpg

all together passionately..:dance1
yas7uAJ.jpg

One of the most beautiful things about this brand is the extraordinary publicity they dedicated to the razors for sale. with brochures with a postal card, anyone could buy Walusch products... I have a nice collection of these brochures

3ur9qSy.jpg

wK7oB7u.jpg

timeless B5...:herz1

Saluti.
Benedetto

Back