ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone of the day (HOTD)

I sanded the herder 25 further down and polished it. I put tape on the edge to not accidentally cut myself.

From the catelogue @efsk posted in the herder thread I know now it was an expensive razor.

I did a touch up on the ozuku stone.

IMG_20200411_223443613.jpg

6DBC2E9E-95E5-4F91-BE03-51286F55AA13.jpeg

This evening I honed the 41 1/4 Abr. Knyn, 1, 2, 5 and 8 K on the Naniwa’s, followed by a slurry progression on the Jnat. It took me a while to set the bevel, especially the point gave me a hard time, but after that all went smooth.
It looks good, feels good on the Scrupleworks Swedish Bridal, and I’m looking forward to the shave tomorrow morning.

Next try, now without the 10k, so a Gold Dollar, progression
Naniwa chosera 1k, Naniwa super stone 3k, Naniwa Hayabusa 4K then coticule with a slight slurry and went untill under running water then stopped on linnen back under running water.
Shave went very Well if i compare with the progression up to 10k and then coticule only water, the 10k gave a very slightly more smooth feeling but very slight.
Think Next time i will skipp the 4k and make more slurry but this have to weight a few weeks we are going to redo the bathroom so have to camp in the kitchen for a while for shaving think it will be DE shaving for a little while.

View attachment 15438
This evening I honed the 41 1/4 Abr. Knyn, 1, 2, 5 and 8 K on the Naniwa’s, followed by a slurry progression on the Jnat. It took me a while to set the bevel, especially the point gave me a hard time, but after that all went smooth.
It looks good, feels good on the Scrupleworks Swedish Bridal, and I’m looking forward to the shave tomorrow morning.

nice blade Maarten, I didn’t know you had a Knyn, they will give you a good shave.

View attachment 15438

nice blade Maarten, I didn’t know you had a Knyn, they will give you a good shave.

Thank you Tony, I got the razor some weeks ago, still have some more polishing to do, but couldn’t wait for the shave and honed it. It shaves like a dream, top 3 razor. You were absolutely right, stating it’s a great razor.

So i do not know if anyone else has this but... I just found this razor i did not know i had... go figure. It is a Ern Wals-Germany 330 6/8 razor. I had never honend it so on to my 1k was going nicely only the toe gave me trouble so had to focus on that.
1 k Naniwa chosera 1k
Japanse midrange Unknown mine (picture)
Nakayama with Mejiro Koma and tomo

Tomorrow i will do the testshave.
20200531_135642.jpg

So, today, in addition to a few kitchen knives for my wife, I took the Rolls blade on the stones. While disassembling the hanger I noticed that there is a notch on one side. So, I cut a chopstick to fit and once stuck it in. It sat bombproof and served as a guide for Honing and then also for stropping.

Progression: Cerax 1000 / 3000, Cretan oil stone, blue Thuringian and then still neatly on Ledertradition‘s double Strop (but laid) Latigo / Nubuk and still Afterwards on a tension-strop on deer leather. I am curious how it will shave.

375E91C7-BA4F-4047-B2A9-E19143B31B19.jpeg

So, today, in addition to a few kitchen knives for my wife, I took the Rolls blade on the stones. While disassembling the hanger I noticed that there is a notch on one side. So, I cut a chopstick to fit and once stuck it in. It sat bombproof and served as a guide for Honing and then also for stropping.

Progression: Cerax 1000 / 3000, Cretan oil stone, blue Thuringian and then still neatly on Ledertradition‘s double Strop (but laid) Latigo / Nubuk and still Afterwards on a tension-strop on deer leather. I am curious how it will shave.

Good idea for improvising a strophelp for the Rolls. For my SE’s I have original ones, but the Rolls blades don’t fit.
Does the angle for the bevel comes out OK?

Good idea for improvising a strophelp for the Rolls. For my SE’s I have original ones, but the Rolls blades don’t fit.
Does the angle for the bevel comes out OK?

yes, the angle is Fine. I intentionally didn’t tape it so that the bevel still hits the leather on the original Strop (although stropping in the case is a pain in the ass, if one considers that you need approx 120 doublestrops in the case to have 15 strops on a normal strop)

@Hellas i have the gouken hayabusa 4k is the feeling of the 8k the same?
Was thinking about getting the 8k as i don t have one yet

@Hellas i have the gouken hayabusa 4k is the feeling of the 8k the same?
Was thinking about getting the 8k as i don t have one yet

I have only tried the 8k from @dirk once. It’s a very good stone. All Gouken I tried up to now have a very soft touch feeling lieke Slate Natural stones. However, I only own the Gouken 1000/3000/5000/12000 and regardless what some guys say. I can pretty well jump from the 5k to the 12k without needing something in between. And the 12k Gouken is the only artificial stone I could shave direkt from the stone without a finish on a natural stone (I do not use paste-strops). Hope this helps.

Today a touch up at my NOS Fritz Bracht Dovo 38 (The Honing in the past was good, but 60 or more Years in the Box don’t make Razors sharper) and a total honing including elimination of some major chips at a Dovo Bismarck 2. Both on Naniwa Gouken (although I starter the Dovo 38 with 5k) and both finished at Yellowgreen Thuringian after the 12 k Gouken.

EEDAF0EA-B54F-41A9-8220-C1C2D75AC245.jpeg

if the Escher can somewhat be compared with a Thuringen stone, just water should work for a light refreshment I think. I got the Thuringen from Tony, and it game with a little slurrystone. I haven’t used this stone with the slurrystone yet.

With slurry the stone is a bit faster for refreshing the blade. However, I would do the Finisch always only wit water (and some guys do it under running water). Anyway. I don’t find the Escher/Thuringian ideal for stainless steel like the Friodur, but this is my personal preference.

Back