Hone of the day (HOTD)

Onno

@Hellas Will find our tomorrow with The shave. I noticed with my 6/8 Friodur I was not satisfied but thought it was my honing capacity

Tony

SU-Patron
if the Escher can somewhat be compared with a Thuringen stone, just water should work for a light refreshment I think. I got the Thuringen from Tony, and it game with a little slurrystone. I haven’t used this stone with the slurrystone yet.
I didn’t use the slurry stone either. The shaves were comfortable without.

Hellas

Undercover Moderator
The Friodurs need a very light touch, especially at the lower grits where some people are inclined to use a little pressure.
indeed, Tony. Otherwise you get quick sawtooth in the edge. Even in the Finnish. Up to now my best experience with the Friodur was with very light touch Finish on my „Saxonian Oilstone“ (Also called „Forelle“ = „Trout“ in German). But next time I will give one of my yellowgreen Thuringians a chance.

SammieM

I still have one that is in mint condition, a Henckels 451 5/8 spike point. We never got along. I tends to bite me every time. Plus I didn’t spend much time on the homes with it and I found the shave to be mediocre at best...

SammieM

I still have one that is in mint condition, a Henckels 451 5/8 spike point. We never got along. I tends to bite me every time. Plus I didn’t spend much time on the homes with it and I found the shave to be mediocre at best...
Maybe as mentioned here, I applied too much pressure, so the blade wasn’t properly honed... Will have to give it another try eventually...

SammieM

All this talk about Thuringians and Eschers is making me curious about them. I only have few Japanese stones... I wonder if I can score one for a decent price. The EBay prices seem ridiculous...

Tony

SU-Patron
All this talk about Thuringians and Eschers is making me curious about them. I only have few Japanese stones... I wonder if I can score one for a decent price. The EBay prices seem ridiculous...
You don’t need an Escher, look at the Thüringen stones at Peters website Thuringianhones.de To find one for a decent price
I bought one there some years ago.

SammieM

You don’t need an Escher, look at the Thüringen stones at Peters website Thuringianhones.de To find one for a decent price
I bought one there some years ago.
I browsed the site he has couple available. They are all blue. From what I have read, those are not as fine as the green/ yellow variety. What do you think? Do you have a blue thuringian? Thank you!

Hellas

Undercover Moderator
I browsed the site he has couple available. They are all blue. From what I have read, those are not as fine as the green/ yellow variety. What do you think? Do you have a blue thuringian? Thank you!
Take a look to the market site of our German sister Forum.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Kumadori has placed some nice for sale and is a trustworth guy (I bought two razors of him and both were well honned). If help is needed re language (I do not know how good his English is) PM me.

Kamp

So yesterday evening I honened my new Schulze 6/8, previous owner dit not ho nn e it so had factory edge.
Progression:
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3 K
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4 K
Nakayama with Tenjio Mejiro Koma and tomo.

This morning the shave And it was very good, 2 pass and smooth!
SWK xl scuttle
Schulze 6/8
Shavemac LE Shaving Society1 DO1 2 band flat
WSP Mahogany soap
WSP Mahogany AS
WSP Mahogany ASB
WSP Mahogany edt

20200623_100449.jpg 20200623_104137.jpg

Kamp

I got a new stone in the Naniwa gouken Fuji 8k, first thing i did I lapped it, then for a test.

I got 1 of my practise razors a Herder and did the following progression,
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3k
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4k
Then to the new stone the 8k after that i stropped and shaved 1 part of my face was no effort, no tugging but wanted to see if i could beter it so,went to my coticule with water only, untill it started sticking, stropped again then finished the shave.

It was a very, 20200710_093318.jpg very nice shave, have to try this progression a few more times but for the first time i liked it.