ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone of the day (HOTD)

@Hellas Will find our tomorrow with The shave. I noticed with my 6/8 Friodur I was not satisfied but thought it was my honing capacity

if the Escher can somewhat be compared with a Thuringen stone, just water should work for a light refreshment I think. I got the Thuringen from Tony, and it game with a little slurrystone. I haven’t used this stone with the slurrystone yet.
I didn’t use the slurry stone either. The shaves were comfortable without.

The Friodurs need a very light touch, especially at the lower grits where some people are inclined to use a little pressure.

indeed, Tony. Otherwise you get quick sawtooth in the edge. Even in the Finnish. Up to now my best experience with the Friodur was with very light touch Finish on my „Saxonian Oilstone“ (Also called „Forelle“ = „Trout“ in German). But next time I will give one of my yellowgreen Thuringians a chance.

Nakayama Koppa with a non-toxic kan pattern...
63FB6578-CEBB-49A2-8B25-4BB2CA28A300.jpeg

I still have one that is in mint condition, a Henckels 451 5/8 spike point. We never got along. I tends to bite me every time. Plus I didn’t spend much time on the homes with it and I found the shave to be mediocre at best...

I still have one that is in mint condition, a Henckels 451 5/8 spike point. We never got along. I tends to bite me every time. Plus I didn’t spend much time on the homes with it and I found the shave to be mediocre at best...
Maybe as mentioned here, I applied too much pressure, so the blade wasn’t properly honed... Will have to give it another try eventually...

All this talk about Thuringians and Eschers is making me curious about them. I only have few Japanese stones... I wonder if I can score one for a decent price. The EBay prices seem ridiculous...

All this talk about Thuringians and Eschers is making me curious about them. I only have few Japanese stones... I wonder if I can score one for a decent price. The EBay prices seem ridiculous...

You don’t need an Escher, look at the Thüringen stones at Peters website Thuringianhones.de To find one for a decent price
I bought one there some years ago.

You don’t need an Escher, look at the Thüringen stones at Peters website Thuringianhones.de To find one for a decent price
I bought one there some years ago.
I browsed the site he has couple available. They are all blue. From what I have read, those are not as fine as the green/ yellow variety. What do you think? Do you have a blue thuringian? Thank you!

I browsed the site he has couple available. They are all blue. From what I have read, those are not as fine as the green/ yellow variety. What do you think? Do you have a blue thuringian? Thank you!

Take a look to the market site of our German sister Forum. https://forum-der-rasur.de/forum/forums/privater-verkauf-unter-mitgliedern.51/

Kumadori has placed some nice for sale and is a trustworth guy (I bought two razors of him and both were well honned). If help is needed re language (I do not know how good his English is) PM me.

So yesterday evening I honened my new Schulze 6/8, previous owner dit not ho nn e it so had factory edge.
Progression:
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3 K
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4 K
Nakayama with Tenjio Mejiro Koma and tomo.

This morning the shave And it was very good, 2 pass and smooth!
SWK xl scuttle
Schulze 6/8
Shavemac LE Shaving Society1 DO1 2 band flat
WSP Mahogany soap
WSP Mahogany AS
WSP Mahogany ASB
WSP Mahogany edt

20200623_100449.jpg
20200623_104137.jpg

I got a new stone in the Naniwa gouken Fuji 8k, first thing i did I lapped it, then for a test.

I got 1 of my practise razors a Herder and did the following progression,
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa super stone 3k
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4k
Then to the new stone the 8k after that i stropped and shaved 1 part of my face was no effort, no tugging but wanted to see if i could beter it so,went to my coticule with water only, untill it started sticking, stropped again then finished the shave.

It was a very,
20200710_093318.jpg
very nice shave, have to try this progression a few more times but for the first time i liked it.

I intended to shave yesterday with today's MoDoSo 14. A beautiful 14 blank finished by Herr Wacker, with Dark Horn Scales.

I finished honed it yesterday on a Coticule that I had completely forgotten about. A beautiful stone, but, in reality, an unknown quantity. I started the shave, and stopped when it was obvious that things would not go well. Close examination of the edge revealed a few tiny microchips. It also had a bit more smile than the spine, so, I decided I'll correct both issues at the same time.

Dulled edge, and started with 3K Chosera (Professional) followed by 5K Chosera, then onto 8K Snow White. I thought and thought on what I'd like to finish on... Escher.. JNat.. One of my good coticules? No... I ultimately decided on the 20K Suehiro Gokumyo. I'll give the 20K another chance to please me, after some harsh shaves in the past.

The edge was killer sharp, and beautifully polished. The synthetic stones cannot be denied in that regard. The smile was returned to matching the curvature of the spine, and the microchips were a thing of the past.

So, all was right with the world, you may ask? Yes, but not totally so. The shave was extremely close, but a bit crisp, even with a featherlight touch. The alum block confirmed it, as it always does. Not too much sting to handle, but I could not shave every day as such.

Thus, the G20 is saved to fight another day, but I have yet to find an edge the pleases me more that a fine coticule edge. But that G20 has gained some respect in my eyes!

GeInbhK.jpg

Yesterday evening i honend 1 of my favoriet saving razors a F. Herder 1.
Progression:
Naniwa chosera 1k
Naniwa Super Stone 3k
Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa 4k
Naniwa Gouken Fuji 8k
Okudo with Mejiro, Komo, and 2 tomo

This morning the shave, what a great razor, on the face 2 passes and smooth did 1 pass on my head and cleanend it up with a Fatip.

SOTD
SWK xl scuttle
F. Herder 1
Fatip
Shavemac 2 band flattop
MDC Agrumus
Pinaud Citrus Musk
Prep balm

20200802_210121.jpg
20200803_085655.jpg

Well, I got an new combination stone yesterday, that I had to try today. Therefore not a total honing up to finish but only the ground work today.

A Friodur and a Dorko on A #1000/#4000 own-branded from Japan-Messer-Shop.de. However, the label on the box looks quite like the labels ob Imanishi „Bester“. Anyway, I like this stone more than the „Bester‘s“ I have tried insofar. The #1000 works quite fast. I would say quite like the #1500 Shapton Professional. Faster than a 1000 Superstone / Gouken but not so fast than a Naniwa Professional. The #4000 polishes like a #6000 Cerax, although faster. The feeling was very like a natural stone. Works quite well with carbon steel (Dorko) but also with stainless (Friodur) without producing chips. For first time use, I like it.

4E6C593F-44A5-4926-9A9C-79225BE80948.jpeg

Back